Is there someone that can help me with some questions about what is and is not allowed on my sim?

Capria0Jackson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi I am a sim owner, it's my first time being officially in charge of a sim and i want to make sure that the things I allow on my sim are allowed under TOS.  I have read it fully as well as all the links but some things are still a little unclear to me and I was wondering if there's anyone in world that can answer questions?

3 answers to this question

You've come to the right place.  Post whatever questions you have here and the people that volunteer to answer questions will be glad to help you.

In general, if you are a sim owner you are in charge and can do anything you please with it, so long as you yourself don't violate the TOS in doing so.  The TOS is relatively broad though, so you are allowed and may want to consider setting rules that are more restrictive if this sim will be public.  You should post these rules at a landing point or give a notecard listing them to people who enter your sim.

If you are planning on renting parcels, you'll want to give some thought to a covenant which sets things such as zoning (commercial, residential, mixed use) building, landscaping, and/or terraforming restrictions and even rules for behavior of your tenants and their guests, if you so desire.  It helps to read covenants other sim owner's use to get ideas and to make sure you cover everything you want to.  However don't copy someone else's covenant.  Write your own.

Since you are paying for the sim, you are permitted to allow or disallow anyone you want to.  You can ban anyone for any reason or none at all and you don't  have to give a reason to anyone.

Please do not create a new post to add your questions. Edit your original post instead. You can edit your post to add additional information by logging in to the web site, going to the post you want to edit, then clicking "Options" at the top right of the post and choosing edit.

The blanket answer is in the TOS (Sect 4.8), which you read:

You may permit or deny other users to access your Virtual Land on terms determined by you. Any agreement you make with other users relating to use or access to your Virtual Land must be consistent with these Terms of Service, and no such agreement can abrogate, nullify, void or modify these Terms of Service.

You make the rules.  Unless you make a rule that violates the TOS, you're fine.  You don't have to be consistent or ethical, and you don't have to explain or justify your rules.  That leaves a landowner free to do a lot of nasty things, which I do NOT recommend.  If you want to keep peace with visitors and tenants, I suggest using common sense and good will.  Violating those will get you in hot water long before you do something that attracts Linden Lab's attention.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.