How do I have my own place, my home?

Ferfalas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Ferfalas wrote:

I want to have my own place but forum or other places information are not so clear. 

How can i do that? What steps?  How much it cost?

Thanks

Hi Fer,

No two-fers here :|

There are several ways to own your own place.  First is to become a premium member; the perks are great and you get a 512sqm parcel with a home and 117 prims allotted.  The other benefits are pretty cool too, but outside the scope of what you ask.

If you chose to not be a premium member then you may rent or buy a parcel. You can rent mainland but not purchase.  Mainland is LL domain and they sell to premium members which in turn can be rented to non-premium.

The price varies on size and location (and some greed.)   Use the in-world search (rental) to get an idea of what is out there. 

This is a very large topic, so there is a lot to learn.  Basically, you need two things: (1) a house and (2) and place to put it.  It is wise to get them in reverse order, just as in RL >>> land first.  Start reading here to understand some things about buying or renting land >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Buying-land/ta-p/700043 .  For the second step, you have many choices.  The easiest, perhaps, is to buy or rent land that already has a house on it.  Many landlords will rent land with the house included in the price.  The next easiest is to buy a house that someone else built and then put it on your land.  There are hundreds of places in SL that sell houses, so they are very easy to find with your Search function. Finally, of course, you can build your own house.  That takes some practice and skill, but it is inexpensive and personally rewarding.

Prices vary, depending on the size of the land parcel that you buy or rent.  You will want to study the Knowledge Base article that I mentioned earlier to get a feel for the factors that are involved.

Linden Lab has made much of this very easy for beginners in SL.  If you have a Premium membership, you are entitled to a Linden Home, which is provided on a 512 sq m parcel.  Read about Linden Homes here >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Linden-Homes/ta-p/700103   If you do not choose to live in a Linden Home, you may use that Premium allowance to pay for a 512 sq m parcel of your own choosing on the Mainland, and use that as a place to build your own home.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if you want to rent to own (it may not even make that much sense for you), but this is a good article about deciding what to budget for a place. It talks about a lot of rent to own topics, but really it crosses over to a lot of things you need to think about before getting a place (renting or buying) http://www.homestarsearch.com/rent-to-own-introduction/cost-of-rent-to-own . I genuinely hope you can pick a few things up from it. I think if you can take anything away from it, it's learning about different ways you'll need to estimate what you can afford. Be responsible with this. Force yourself to sit with a pad and pen and calculate where you legitamately think you can start. I really wish you the best of luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.