Can I save the house I'll modify and decorate in my inventory when I'll leave the rental land?

hallebarde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If and when I'll manage to rez my trailer house (it is a very simple 6 prim house that I can modify and I will exercise building tools when separating rooms, changing colours -hope i can do that- adding furniture etc.) when I'll have ameliorated it and the time comes to change place, when i'll be leaving the rental land can I take the new version of the house in my inventory?

Tks

P.S. I studied the first video tutorials about editing and that's how I managed to rez the house as it needed resizing to fit in the land. 3 times I rezzed it.  What can I do for not to delete the house accidentally when trying to delete some object for example?  Asking questions is what it is this forum about, isn't it?

3 answers to this question

Yes, of course.  RIght click on it and choose "Take". It will pop into your inventory. Assuming that you have given it a name that you will recognize later, you'll be able to yank it back out again and rez it another day.  Each time you Take it to inventory, you'll be saving a new copy.  Eventually, your inventory will be crammed with copies, so if you are smart, you'll keep deleting duplicates.  If they are all subtlely different because you have modified them, be sure to change the name each time you Take the object, so you can tell the copies apart. (My House 11 Oct #1, My House 11 Oct #2, My House 12 Oct #1 ....... or whatever naming scheme appeals to you.)

I remember suggesting to you that it would be a good idea to take a basic building class at Builder's Brewery or NCI, or maybe spend time with the tutorials at the Ivory Tower of Prims.  You really ought to do that.  That's a lot easier than asking questions here and waiting for a response.

Make sure you link together the parts of your trailer house before taking it back into inventory, or you'll take only the part you've selected.

I'll second Rolig's suggestion to take building classes at Builder's Brewery, NCI, Caledon Oxbridge University, Helping Haven, etc. I know folks at each of those places, they're wonderful. Learning from them, with others, can be a lot of fun.

hallebarde wrote:
[ .... ]
What can I do for not to delete the house accidentally when trying to delete some object for example?  Asking questions is what it is this forum about, isn't it?

The best answer is to pay attention to what you are doing.  I know that is easier said than done, but it really is the bottom line answer.  Every single person I have known well in SL for the past 9 years has accidentally deleted (or retextured or demolished) something valuable.  Some of us have done it so many times that it's embarrassing.  Still, the best answer is BE CAREFUL.

1. Always keep a backup copy of anything important. Put it in a well-labeled place in your inventory.  When you screw up, curse a little under your breath and pull your backup copy out.

2. Pay attention to visual cues.  When you are editing an object, your editor outlines it with a blue and yellow aura so you know which things you are working on.  When you select an object to delete it, you'll get an annoying dialog box that asks "Are you sure that you want to delete this?"  Pay attention.

3. Lock things. When you have a structure in place, open the Object page in your editor and click the LOCK box.  That will prevent you from retexturing or modifying the object until you unlock it again, and it will give you yet another annoying "Do you really want to do this?" dialog box if you try to delete the object or take it to your inventory.

4. Don't worry. If you break something or lose it, it will be embarrassing or maddening, and you may be out a little L$.  But you've learned something, and you didn't get a broken arm or a poke in the eye, the way you might have in RL.  These are all just pixels, and so is your av.

Yes, asking questions is what this forum is all about, and we are glad to help.  Keep asking.  What Maddy and I are suggesting, though, is that you take some other steps to answer some kinds of questions too.  When you ask a question here, you have to wait -- sometimes for hours -- before someone comes by to respond.  And we can't see what you are working on, so we may have to guess why you are asking or what you are looking at.  So ..... Take a class, make friends in world who can stand by your elbow and answer questions on the spot.  And be bold.  Try things out to see what happens.  If you mess up, it's not the end of the world.  You are more likely to learn if you make a ton of mistakes than if everything always goes right the first time, and you're more like to have deeply satisfying "Aha!" moments when you discover things yourself than when someone else holds your hand all the way.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.