Wearable Prop & Demo Question

So Whimsy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

It's hard to really explain what I want but let me try!

I want to make poses focusing around wearable props. Let's say I want to make a samurai pose set with a katana.
The poses would be inside the katana and you could cycle through poses by clicking the katana and a menu pops up.

I know how to do this with static props rezzed on the ground, but I am not sure how to do this for wearable props as the sword would move position, too (but stay attached to the hand). Say, the first pose is both hands holding the sword in a combat stance, the second pose is a sitting pose with the sword laying on the ground.

Is this even possible? Is there scripts on the market that I can use for this?

The second question is, how could I demo these props? I am thinking of having a Demo sign underneath the vendor that people can click, it would rez a pose stand and upon standing on it, it would pose you and auto attach the sword. I am pretty sure avsitter can do auto attach prop, but is there a script that rez the posestand upon touch?

Edit: Would the auto attached sword vanish upon leaving the posestand? This is important x3 Or is there another feasable and perhaps easier way to demo something like this?

If there's none existing on the mp (I wouldn't even know what to type in to search for this!) could I comission this from a scripter?

English isn't my mother language, and sometimes it's hard to put my thoughts into words, so if you need more explanations please do ask! Thank you!

Since you asked in the Scripting forum, the answer is yes, you could certainly write scripts for a system that combines a demo pose stand with commands that rez and temp attach various props to match the poses. It wouldn't be very hard for a mildly skilled scripter to do that, although I can imagine the product itself getting to be pretty complicated as you add more and more options.  I have no idea whether something like that already exists, but I wouldn't be surprised. It seems like an obvious product.  Search in Marketplace or put a query in the Wanted forum.  If you don't find one and if you aren't prepared to write scripts yourself, you can post in the InWorld Employment forum to attract a hungry scripter who will do it for you.

Thanks for uh, non answering my questions I suppose? I'm well aware of the different forum sections and where goes what, I was hoping of the scripters to point me into the right directions query wise (since I did state I don't know which search term to use on the MP or for a google search) or to point me to their already existing products.

Thanks for the reply, but I an still firmly planted on square one for this matter.

For the animate on attach, typing 'wearable' on MP then restricting it to scripts throws up a couple but probably not doing all you want. The auto detach for demo, etc.

As Rolig Loon says all of your requirements are doable by a competent scriptor but thats the point - sounds like you will need it more or less custom made.

(A remote possibility is taking one of the open furniture pose and prop systems and modifying it heavily but seems a bit cumbersome TBH)

Sorry, Syn.  This really isn't the place to be asking, so I guess that's why I gave you a "non-answer".  The LSL Scripting forum is a place for scripters to share their ideas and to look for help with scripts they are writing. It's not a "where do I find this script" forum, so you really do need to ask in the Wanted forum or find a scripter in InWorld Employment to write something for you. 

FWIW, I did just spend 20 minutes searching through Marketplace because I was curious, but didn't find anything generic that looks like what you want.  That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. It's just that I am no better at searching than you are.

There may be a more fundamental problem: understanding exactly what you're trying to make. From your example, I think you're describing a simple animated attachment, which is a very common thing in SL. There must be examples in the Library. But if that's all that's desired, why would a demo involve standing on a pose stand, as opposed to just clicking on a "Demo" sign?

Maybe, then, these aren't mere attachments but also "props" -- a term most often used (in SL) to describe stuff that rezzes as cosmetic add-ons to animated furniture. That may be the case because you mention a situation where a katana is supposed to rest on the ground after being held in hand. (There's no way to do that completely satisfactorily with an attachment, regardless of pose or attachment point, because the ground is at some unknowable remove from the animated attachment point. So maybe that "resting on the ground" katana is a rezzed "prop" and not intended to be the same thing as the "held in hand" katana attachment.)

Hence, depending what you're asking, it may be trivial, or impossible. Probably it's somewhere in-between. 

I guess I'd suggest searching Marketplace for "temp attach" scripts, just to read the descriptions and see if it helps clarify your own demo requirements (and not to buy anything, at least not right away).

Also, I'm not sure whether such attachments should now use llSetAnimationOverride() and associated functions (as I'd expect), or stick with the old school llStartAnimation() that most common scripts still use. Some folks on this forum may have practical experience with that particular question.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.