Update Object Script That Are Rezzed In Multiple Regions

IZHRAH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, is there anyone knows how can I manage update objects scripts that are rezzed in multiple regions? Example to make it simple I want to update the Object script that will update the its description based on the update info it received. I was thinking of using listener on the objects and send a message to that listener but the down side is I need to visit all thousand sims where my objects are rezzed. Is there a proper way or efficient way to do that in just one click even I'm in a single region that I can throw a update message across to those multiple sims? Please disregard of using HTTP because I want to make it work within SL only.

If you want actually to update running scripts the only way to do it, I think, is first to set PIN numbers, using llSetRemoteScriptAccessPin, and then send update objects, which replace the scripts using llRemoteLoadScriptPin, to the objects' owners at update time.    

If you don't want to use HTTP calls, you could use something like the Product Update Server in the old LSL wiki library (I won't link to it because external links frequently cause posts to vanish).   

ETA   You might want to explore the possibilities offered by Key-Value Pairs ("KVP") in experience tools here.   I've been playing round with having an experimental server prim store its URL using this method, and update the key every time it gets a new URL, and then having the client prims read the current URL using llReadKeyValue.   That's working pretty well, though so far I've only made a very rough "proof of concept" set-up.    But it's one way of using HTTP in and out without using an external site.

IZHRAH wrote:

But the llRemoteLoadScriptPin only works for the same region as the specification indicated on the target parameter
:(

Yes.   So normally you send the updater prim to the owners of the objects you want to update.    

I was trying to answer your question about updating objects on different regions.  I didn't realise they all belong to you.

If you mean that you own all these thousand objects on different regions, then either you or someone who has mod rights on the objects (try checking "share with group" on the first tab of the editor) is going to have to attend all the regions with an updater script.   There's no way round that if you want to pass running scripts to the objects.

However, if you simply want to update the values of constants in the scripts -- which your reference to HTTP suggests may be the case -- then using the new experience tools' KVP funtions may very well solve your problem.   That's how we keep  access and ban lists coordinated on a 30-region estate where I help with the scripting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.