Trying to create a robot like BB-8 from the new Star Wars movie....need a script to control it

Bedlam Ansome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I need to be able to have the robot follow my avatar, and like BB-8, have the lower spherical part rotating as it moves, but with the head moving.  I have the robot as 2 pieces at the moment, the head and the body.

I am clueless about scripting to do this, so any help would be appreciated. :matte-motes-grin:

One standard way to script a follower is to make it physical and use llMoveToTarget.  There's a simple example of a follower script in the wiki page for that function.  To make one part of your model spin while another part is facing the same way, you'll probably want to use llSetLinkPrimitiveParams with the PRIM_OMEGA option.  That will have the same effect as putting a separate llTargetOmega script in that child prim and linking it to the main script in your root prim, but will do the whole job in one script.

As I said, using llSetLinkPrimitiveParams with the PRIM_OMEGA paramater does exactly the same thing as llTargetOmega. Compare the two functions in the wiki.  The only difference at all is that since you are doing it from the root prim, you save having to write a separate script for llTargetOmega in whatever is spinning. So, whatever you would do with llTargetOmega, use the same values in SLPP and drop it in your follower script.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.