Towing a trailer, kinda

Artorius Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is for a mock up of a BattleBot I'm designing. Not for sale or anything.

I have 3 tail pieces that follow behind the main body on pivots, like a trailer ball hitch with multiple trailers end to end in a train. Well, yeah just like a train but really fast.

I think I saw a towing script once but can't find it and can't figure out how to approach this.

I don't  think a follower is right, the last piece attaches to the middle piece with a pivot, that attaches to the front piece with a pivot and that attaches to the body with a pivot. That last section is gonna go crazy! Not sure llgetpos then llsetpos will be fast enough.

Is there some simpler way to get the same effect? Think of a sharks tail. That's what it is, a Sharks Tail made of 3 pieces of steel.

I think you've set yourself a pretty challenging task, since LSL doesn't support individual articulation for links in a linkset, or groups of links.   The only way to fake that is by using llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast, but that won't work in a physics-enabled object (or KFM), and I'm not sure non-physics movement would look as you want it to.   Also you'd need to be able to work out the formula to caculate where you want the various pieces to go, which is certainly way beyond my rather limeted mathematical abilities.

I think the ony way to do it -- and I'm really not sure how well it's going to work -- is to have the individual components as separate objects, following each other on a very fast timer.   I'm assuming that you're making the tail pieces with the rotation centre offset to match the point about which you want them to rotate, rather than the center of the visible object.    

There's an example in the Wiki (by Rolig, I think)  of how to use KFM to make a cart follow a horse that you might be able to adapt.   

Best of luck!   I've tried doing something similar in the past -- though far simpler than what you're doing -- and I know how difficult I found it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.