Texture Shininess on prims

TomBolt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have created an object. 

is it possible by a script to make the object best way looking possible by changing texture look to "shininess low" 

the idea was a script avatars/friends can click to set the object with shininess low? 

I am not a scripter or anything so i need noob help please, if possible

As long as your object has permissions set to allow the owner to modify it, the owner doesn't need a script to change it specularity ("shininess").  You've already discovered the way to do that in the Textures panel in your editor.

That's a very crude adjustment, or course.  It applies one of three levels of overall specularity to the entire object. In today's SL, that can look rather harsh and amateurish.  Good designers these days usually texture an object with a normal map and a specularity map in addition to the diffuse texture so that they have full control over the way light interacts with each part of the object.  That takes a fair amount of skill.  Again, once the three texture maps are applied, it is possible to leave the owner with permission to use his own editor to adjust specularity controls.  You can use parameters in llSetLinkPrimitiveParams to script a system that lets the owner toggle among presets, if you want.  That, too, takes a fair amount of skill.

Here is a simple on/off on touch for shiny that you can test with...

integer k;default{    touch_start(integer num_detected)    {   if(k = !k)         {  llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_THIS, [           PRIM_BUMP_SHINY, ALL_SIDES, PRIM_SHINY_LOW,PRIM_BUMP_NONE]);         }        else        {   llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_THIS, [           PRIM_BUMP_SHINY, ALL_SIDES, PRIM_SHINY_NONE,PRIM_BUMP_NONE]);        }      }}

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.