Strange Problems with Rotation Script

Zeaig Zabelin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been having problems with almost any rotation script for a while now, And im not the only one apprently from the people iv asked.

Basically the problem iv been having, Is i set up a rotating prim, It will work fine for a while, But They eventually ALWAYS stop rotating, It usually happens if i leave the sim, Or log out and come back in. They just completely halt. Untill i right click the prim which causes them to start working again.

The other problem i seem to be getting is, They will sometimes randomly start to wobble out of place as if there offset, When i know for a fact they are perfectly aligned to the sl grid when i place them.

This gets very frustrating when i try to make fan ducts, or rotating images.

--Here is an example of the script i use.--

{
    state_entry()
    {
       llTargetOmega(<0,0,1>,0.35,PI);
    }

}

You mean spinning, not rotating, which is a very different thing in LSL.  llTargetOmega is entirely a client-side effect for non-physical objects.  That means that the object isn't really spinning, as far as SL's servers are aware.  It also means that each person viewing the object is likely to see it a little differently.  Given all of that, you should expect it to stop spinning if you are not there. (If a tree is spinning in the forest and there's nobody there to see it ....:smileyhappy:. )

It's also the case that objects spinning with llTargetOmega may not appear to be spinning if you are too far away from them or if they have not fully rezzed when you first see them.  That's again because the effect is completely client-side, and it doesn't happen until the object is rendered by your graphics card.  Sometimes, clicking on an object (or just doing a mouseover) is enough to force the final bit of rendering to occur, so it will jump start the spinning.

Wobbling, however, is peculiar. Unless your object is physical, which would make it vulnerable to tipping if someone bumped it, I can't think of a good reason why it should go out of alignment.

Im unaware of how Rotating and spinning can be different things concidering they mean the same exact thing except rotation being a more technical word than spinning.

It has nothing to be with being too far away, I can stand literally on top of it, Does not make a difference, btw iv been playing since 2006 so im not a totall noob when it comes to these things. And as far as it not rezzing fully, I can stand there all day it still wont spin unless i right click the object its self.

No the prim is not physical, If it was that would have been the obvious solution to the wobble problem.  But the main problem is still the not " Spinning " Part. Those things you suggested to me, I have tried before. The only solution is every single time i go to my sim, I have to manually start all my rotation script prims.

this is a matter of object updates.... you aren't getting a full update when you return to your region... why, I don't know, as I've not seen this happen before myself.... perhaps it's specific to the viewer being used or some setting... such as ping or velocity interpolate objects.... check on those first (there were also some similar problems that were unique to linux multiple desktops)

the popular methods for forcing a full object update should work, if you can't find a solution in the above, although they are going to make more work for the region since you'll need them to be called on a regular basis.... the most popular are a move or rotation of more than 6degees or 0.1m, or a change to hover text (which can be set full alpha)

as to how spinning is different than rotating... the first in video and texture context implies a constant motion, which is what target omega gives, while the later implies a singular motion, which is what set local rotation does

Zeaig Zabelin wrote:

It has nothing to be with being too far away, I can stand literally on top of it, Does not make a difference, btw iv been playing since 2006 so im not a totall noob when it comes to these things. And as far as it not rezzing fully, I can stand there all day it still wont spin unless i right click the object its self.

That is odd. I've never seen a llTargetOmega script do that either.  As Void says, you can always add a timer that will force a llSetRot periodically so that the servers are updating the prim's actual rotation all the time.  That ought to do the trick, and you wouldn't have to update more than a few times a minute.  Just enough to jump start the thing so you don't have to do it manually.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.