Scripting Viewer Settings.

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there any way for a script in an attachment to change a viewer setting?

I realise this could be horribly abusive, but there are some UI awkwardnesses. I am thinking of such things as a telescope attachment, which modifies the field of view in mouselook as an obvious example of such a use. What I have in mind is a less clunky control for the Max Complexity setting: instead of the short slider with a huge range, having a set of radio buttons.

No, you have no control over a user's viewer settings with a LSL script.  As you note correctly, that could be very abusive.  For your telescope example, one common solution is to attach a large black prim as a HUD that covers the user's screen except for a hole in the middle.

Rolig's correct, of course.    The only thing I'd add is that you can change some of the camera and viewer settings if someone's using a third-party viewer that supports RLV (and has it activated, of course).  See this section and this section of the RLV api for details.

However, there doesn't seem to be, as yet at least, anything there that allows you to play with the avatar complexity settings.

And that's the cinematic solution, whether for a telescope or binoculars. At least they do have a magnified image in a movie. The real view never looks like the Hollywood version.

I was a bit surprised, the first time I used a pair of binoculars. Things were bigger. And that is the whole point.

That would cover the telescope example. I do know that scripts can set the camera position, many vehicles have scripting that does that. And then sometimes it gets lost at a sim crossing, and there seems to be no way of restoring the scripted cammera position, which seems very strange.

True enough.  Actually, though, I have always meant to try an experiment with camera settings that might fake magnification, especially if you were in an Experience where you have smooth control over permissions.  Force seat the person as you autoattach the "cinematic" HUD to his screen and force mouselook.  Then set camera position to, say, half the distance to the current camera focus.  Then either update that camera position with a fast timer or make the user do it "manually" each time she changes focus.  In theory (at least theory in my head) it ought to work.  Whether it's convincing is another matter.  :)

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Rolig's correct, of course.    The only thing I'd add is that you can change some of the camera and viewer settings if someone's using a third-party viewer that supports RLV (and has it activated, of course).  See
and
of the
for details.

However, there doesn't seem to be, as yet at least, anything there that allows you to play with the avatar complexity settings.

Worth noting that there is RLV api and then there is RLVa api which are pretty similar but have some noticable differences in camera/vision controls, especially now that rlva has recently been updated, and most 'rlv' TPV's actually use rlva.

Go talk to Kitty Barnett maybe for  RLVa help, or Marine Kelly for RLV.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.