Remote Update Anywhere In-World. Look Ma, No Hands!

Worn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You own objects in different regions. You want to update the script in those objects totally remotely, without having to visit each object and rez an updater beside the object. That means you deliver a new script from home to the distant object outside the  home sim and you delete the old script inside the existing prim. Obviously the new script is set to running. Can it be done? If not, (which I think is the answer)... Linden labs, why not?

If my reading is accurate, that only works from another script within the same sim. We should be able to update the guts of any prim from anywhere. Not only the scripts but objects or anything else we please. Why not? If emails allowed attachments, perhaps we could deliver to distant prims that way?

I just found out an object I've got in a giver has the perms set badly. I have towards 75 of these placed everywhere around the world. Right now I pray I could update that object in prims inventory  remotely. What are we, 15 years into SL now and we still don't have this ability? Once again LL, why not?

What you need is an update server.  What you'd have to do is put a script that does the update to the item you want in the prim where your items are.  Then you have a prim located somewhere at home that you use to initiate the update.

There are a number of update servers on the marketplace.  A number will update any object in the prim that gives items, but I didn't read them all to see if they would also update a script inside it.  You would need to read the descriptions carefully to see if they meet your needs as there are all kinds of update servers.  You could also contact the creator with any questions you might have.

I haven't used an update server for several years, so the technology might have advanced, but I don't think it will update my in-world prims on demand if LSL won't do it in the code either. An update server USED to work when the party gave to rezzed any object. It would email the update server with the version number of the prim that rezzed, and if the version was older than the current version in the server it would issue the update.

I do think you are right that I need to put an update server in play Amethyst, mainly because I'm getting a headache trying to figure out how many generations of the same object that gives itself out need to go into itself so that the next giver always gives itself out.

... see, it gives you a headache just trying to articulate it. I think my receivees need a server to issue them a new giver for them to put out. Basically I need an infinite loop which we don't have in this realm.

But I veer from discussion. The original discussion is: I need my giver to update thier inventory with no intervention from an avi where they are located. I don't think we have that available to us, but I will research the tech in update servers today.

Thanks Am.

If it's still unclear, I want my givers to give themselves out so others can also give them out to others who can give them out. Simply idea that is turning out pretty tricky. I do need an update server.

An update server isn't going to help up you remotely update objects without avatar intervention, for the reasons you have always identified.

Update servers send inventory to avatars, you can't send that inventory to a remote rezzed object.

I agree that llRemoteLoadPin cross grid would be the simplest solution. Create a JIRA and propose llVeryRemoteLoadPin :)

llRemoteLoadScriptPin has permission limits. You can only update your own stuff. Since I read of givers giving givers there are updaters giving updaters needed so everyone needs to get an updater to update their stuff. Updating other avatars stuff and even without asking will never happen and that is a good thing.

Nova Convair wrote:

llRemoteLoadScriptPin has permission limits. You can only update your own stuff.

"You own objects in different regions. You want to update the script in those objects totally remotely, without having to visit each object and rez an updater beside the object"

That's exactly the use case of the OP.  I sympathise from the time where I had a bunch of inworld sales locations and yet had to visit each location.  I never read this requirement as sending a product update to other people but it got mistakenly dragged in that direction.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Nova Convair wrote:

llRemoteLoadScriptPin has permission limits. You can only update your own stuff.

"
You own objects in different regions. You want to update the script in those objects totally remotely, without having to visit each object and rez an updater beside the object
"

That's exactly the use case of the OP.  I sympathise from the time where I had a bunch of inworld sales locations and yet had to visit each location.  I never read this requirement as sending a product update to other people but it got mistakenly dragged in that direction.

If the OP verifies this I'd believe it :D

But there is this:

If it's still unclear, I want my givers to give themselves out so others can also give them out to others who can give them out. Simply idea that is turning out pretty tricky. I do need an update server.

We drifted into two separate update requirements for sure. The initial want, and we should be able to update the guts of our own prims from afar. The update server direction was a discussion evolution based on the practicality of what we can actually do in here. So you've kept the thoughts seperated nicely Nova.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.