One Prim Vendor, but want a "temp prim" to put floating text "on top of" main prim - how?

Domitan Redenblack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's very easy, but you may find that you run afoul of local covenants that forbid temp-rezzers.  If you are rezzing a new temp prim and its hover text every minute or so, some landowners will toss your vendor out in the street.  If you really need hover text, why not just build it into the one-prim vendor, or add a permanent child prim for that purpose?

Entirely possible but you'll have to put a rezzing code in your main prim because the temp prim must be re-rezzed about every min. This is all easy but you must remember that the temp prims lifespan is not fixed... it depends on lag and other factors. On the other hand, your re-rez rate is fixed, so at time you'll end up with 2 temps existing together (and therefore 2 floating texts) and sometimes with none at all for a few sec).

Why not put the text in your main prim? Or get MPV-SR one prim vendor which will do floating text for you and many other things.

Yes, but in the absence of information it's fun to speculate. :smileytongue:

If the OP only wants hover text when someone walks up or touches it (good idea -- I hate clouds of permanent hover text), for example, he could just put the llSetText command in the triggering event and then reverse it with a timer or a no_sensor event later. 

Rolig Loon wrote: If the OP only wants hover text when someone walks up or touches it (good idea -- I hate clouds of permanent hover text), for example, he could just put the
llSetText
command in the triggering event and then reverse it with a
timer
or a
no_sensor
event later. 

This is what I do now, but my "single prim vendor" has title text floating WAY above the actual prim *(grrrrr) and there is no way to "bring it down over the middle of the prim itself" rather than in the ceiling above the prim etc.

Rolig Loon wrote: Ummmm.. turn the prim on its side so the +Z axis points out at you, then put your display texture on face #0 and run your hovertext.  It will be perfectly centered on the display.

Hmmm.... I tried that, but must have done something wrong. It did not stick, text ended up back above...

Thanks, Rolig.

Yeah, you must have done something odd.  I use that trick all the time to center hover text on message boards.  It works because hover text is always set to hover on the +Z axis above the prim's center.  So if +Z points out toward you, "above" does too.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Yeah, you must have done something odd.  I use that trick all the time to center hover text on message boards.  It works because hover text is always set to hover on the +Z axis above the prim's center.  So if +Z points out toward you, "above" does too.

You forgot to mention that the Z-axis must be minimized (z=0.01m)

The the text position, the height, is a function of the z-dimension

Dora Gustafson wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

You forgot to mention that the Z-axis must be minimized (z=0.01m)

The the text position, the height, is a function of the z-dimension

AHA! LOL, thanks Dora. That is why I was banging my head today :P

Got it now

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.