Lemme ask before I chart this one.

Artorius Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to make a jousting ride.

Like a zip line but you sit on a mesh "horse" and hold a lance as you zip down on top of the line. Mouselook targeting to try and spear a few rings and maybe hit a target with the lance as you go by.

Most of it seems simple enough with llRegionSay and physics for the horse but I'd like to gather a score and I'm not sure how to go about that.

Target could be 3 concentric rings (for example) 1 point for outside ring, 2 for middle and 3 for center.

I filter a collision between the lance tip and the target, the target broadcasts a score if one is made. Yes?

Is there a better way to do that?

How can I broadcast those score points from the target to a scoreboard as a cumulative value? That's my real question.

I'm not sure of the best way to catch and keep the scores, or even if llRegionSay is the best way to broadcast them.

Any opinions would be enjoyed and pondered upon.

Take a look at llCastRay.  The player slides down the zip line, in mouselook.  As the target comes in view, he tries to keep it in his mouselook crosshairs and then..... clicks, sending a cast ray at it.  The ray reports the UUID of whatever it hit, so the player's script matches that UUID with the UUID of whatever the player was trying to hit. If there's a match, the player gets a point.  No communications is necessary unless you want the target to appear to react.  If that's the case, then sending a brief "gotcha!" message to the target is all it takes to make it light up or explode or whatever.

Just one script, actually.  Give the lance a list of the target names.  Do a quick sensor scan before you head downhill, looking for objects that match those names.  Use that scan to build a temporary list of UUIDs of the potential targets.  When your cast ray detects a hit on something that's on that list, you win.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.