Learning LSL

BlueTrianon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm thinking about learning to script.  I've read over the wiki and it seems that LSL is learnable by people completely new to coding.  

Is it better to start with LSL or learn a more common language and then go back to LSL?  I've found so many excellent resources for learning the more common languages.  I've also read that once you learn one language it's much easier to learn another.  On the other hand, I'm sure there are lots of inworld groups for scripters.  I assume they'll help an interested person with specific questions.  Or is that a bad assumption?

I learned LSL from scratch, with no programming background at all, and didn't find it very difficult.   I'm now learning C#, a "real" programming language,  and finding it reasonably similar to LSL, and doubtless I'm finding it easier to learn because I now know LSL pretty well.

I think the point about languages being easier to learn if you already know one is that if you know a language, you're used to thinking in terms of breaking the task in hand down into logical steps which can then be described in the particular language. Knowing the commands and syntax is, to my mind, secondary.    The real task is to analyse the process you're trying to model and see the logical relationships between its component parts.

So, in short, my advice would be, if you want to script for SL, then start with LSL.

You'll find plenty of helpful and active scripting groups in-world.   I can particularly recommend the College of Scripting, Music and Science, Script Academy, and Scripts (declaration of interest: I'm an owner of Script Academy and a moderator in Scripts).   That's not to say other groups aren't just as good. It's just those are the three with which I'm most familiar.  

The College of Scripting, Music and Science also have an in-world resource centre with eight floors of in-world interactive scripting tutorials and examples, which are very useful when you're starting out.   

The Builders Brewery group often offer free inworld scripting classes, which I am told are very good.  Their group is also a good place to ask scripting questions.    It depends who is there, but some of their helpers are very skilled scripters and very good at explaining things.    Also, I would argue that a scripter has to have a good working knowledge of SL building techniques.

And, of course, there's always this forum.   I got started scripting in this forum's distant predecessor, and I still learn a lot both here and in the equivalent forum over the road at SL Universe.   

I hope this is some help.   I'm sure you'll have fun learning, and I look forward to seeing you around here and in some of the groups.

Hi Blue!

As LSL is a procedural language, it's a good entry point to start. Think of programming languages like RL languages. Some of them are easier to learn, others rather hard. They all explain objects or behaviour in some way, more or less efficient. They might have advantages over or disadvantages to others. Some languages might have their root in another older one. A language might change by time, grows or deprecates stuff or even stops existing.

I agree with Innula and the reason of scripting languages being similar to more advanced programming languages like C# or C++ is, because these programming languages are used to make the SL viewer and scripting work server side. They are called object oriented and much more advanced than scripting is.

A lot of programmers started by scripting including me. It might takes some time and hair pulling nights to get any specific concept of a language and make things work with. But it's worth it for sure and there are very helpful resources like Innula already posted. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you're stucked either through group chat or forum. We all had to start once and know how hard it might be to try finding bugs and fix them.

Hello Blue, 

It is nice to see that you are learning to code! I encourage you to keep going and really hone your craft! It will really turn out to be somehting that is priceless down the road! If you would like, I know a few people who would love to help you, and may even have small projects for you to work on as you are learning! Revo is a great old friend of mine and has helped many in SL (Programmers and those looking for programmers) in many ways!

Hope to hear from you soon Blue! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.