LSL for Beginners?

Kia Sierota

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I'm a student getting into programming for a living. While I'm working on other programming languages, I'm kind of motivated to try out LSL as well. I only know a meager amount about LSL in general, but I know enough to change around already-written code. I'd like to write my own from scratch however.

I'm not actually sure where to begin though. I'm already googling beginner guides as I type, but any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 1

Good luck Googling beginner guides.  There aren't any, really.  See this recent thread, just below yours >>> https://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/Feasibility-question-and-tutorials/td-p/3022370  .  When you have specific questions (the more focused, the better), feel free to post your work here.  There's usually someone willing to offer suggestions.

EDIT:  I should add that there are a few places in world that have excellent resource materials (the College of Scripting, Music and Whatever springs to mind) and there are places like Builders Brewery that offer some scripting classes.  Personally, I have never found classes very helpful but I haven't tried theirs either.

There is a comprehensive book that gives a good introduction to LSL scripting. I have learned the basics with it: 'Scripting Your World, The Official Guide to Second Life Scripting'. You can read the first chapter for free here. It will give you an impression what to expect of the book. Even if there are some new features and functions of LSL that are not in the book (I think it's from 2011), it still gives a good introduction and you'll be able to learn the new features with the LSL wiki later on.

For me personally the book has been one of the best investments of my life.   :matte-motes-nerdy:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.