Invisiprim griefing, need help!

Lucynana123

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have a griefer who has been harrassing me by 1.) using a follower on me 2.) wears an invisiprim (put on a box im assuming) which in turns makes me invisible.

I know I can report this person or just leave the sim they grief me on but reporting does nothing because they just make alts.

My question is this....is there any way to combat this invisiprim so that my avatar becomes VISIBLE? Or is there anything I can wear (I don't care what it looks like) that will be SEEN through the invisiprim?

Thanks!

Anything that doesn't have an alpha channel will show. Most mesh bodies seem to use alpha, but might be able to switch that off depending on the creator. the system layers will always have an alpha channel, which is why water, windows, particles, most hair textures, etc, can't be seen through invisiprim. I think though, the official viewer doesn't support it anymore, but it's been a while since I used it.

Also, second life can ban a user by their IP address, but not sure how long that would take for them to respond. And any hacker knows how to get around that easily

Alwin's right.  The LSL Scripting forum is a place for scripters to debate questions about scripting, so your question really doesn't belong here. (For the same reason, it doesn't belong in the Building and Texturiung forum either.)  However, I'm having a hard time figuring out what is going on, so it's an interesting puzzle. You're not dealing with an invisiprim, since invisiprims were a popular hack that Linden Lab disabled several years ago (2012?) and haven't worked since.  You also aren't dealing with an alpha texture on a follower, because that will just make the follower transparent, not you. It would have to be an alpha layer on you, and I am momentarily at a loss to explain it, given just what you have told us.

No, Firestorm doesn't have anything to do with it, but there is a limited case in which invisiprims apparently do work, sorta.  I wasn't aware of that until I did a careful web search just now. If you look in the wiki, you'll find a short note that says, "Invisiprims are somewhat obsolete. With the advanced lighting model that enables shadows, advanced materials, and other high end features in current viewers, invisiprim faces are simply ignored. The effect can still be seen on low graphics settings, with advanced lighting disabled."  So, it's possible that the OP might be seeing the effects of an invisiprim, but it's only likely if she's on a computer that can't handle much in the way of graphics.  She'd have to be running with no Advanced Lighting and with her Quailty slider shoved way to the left.  It doesn't sound to me like she's a victim of a very effective griefing tool.

I'm baffled, too.   But let's be sure we are actually talking about invisiprims.

As I recall, they hid only the avatar mesh and system clothes, not attachments.    So if you stood behind an invisiprim, people wouldn't see you but would typically see your shoes, hair, jewellery and other visible attachments, floating there in mid-air.  

If Lucynana123 is still reading this, I'd be interested to know it's that's what is actually happening.

As mentioned above. It hid any texture with an alpha channel. So some hair would disappear, even if not the whole primary. It was also used to hide water. Now though, pulling out some of those old shoes, it'll sometimes show as solid black, or would still work. I think the times it works for me must be when I turn my sliders down in laggy areas

Thanks for all the replies! Perhaps I didn't explain correctly or called it the wrong thing. Someone else who witnessed what was going on told me that the griefer more than likely built a large box and added the invisiprim texture to it.

Here is everything that happens. Hopefully this helps to clarify:

1. The griefer himself is invisivle, including name tag

2. He uses a follower so no matter where I go he is right there with me.

3.  Whatever he is using also makes me invisible and anyone else in the radius. Only my eyes, ears and necklace show.

4. The first time this ever happened I didn't know what was going on but happened to click in mid air around myself and that's when I noticed that it highlighted an "object" and was not just blank air around me. 

5. Sometimes the tool he is using causes other objects or backgrounds (skies, etc) to flicker in and out briefly. 

Hope that gives some better insight.

• 3 weeks later...

Invisprims wern't banned etc back in 2012, they still kind of work, but only if you have advanced lighting turned off, when they work they will hide system avis, and mess with alpha textured hair, they can also optically cut holes in mesh under some circumstances, but... Advanced lighting, As a griefing tool it's like throwing water balloons at Battleship... Oh Noe! Water!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.