Help with detection of events

Shiro Neximus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm wondering if there is a better way for 'state' (not in a script sense) detection, for example I want to make particles happen when an avatar is in a state of flight, and to stop when flight stops. The thing is, the way I have it sounds inefficient, slow, and script intensive, where it basically checks every 1 second if an avatar is flying.

integer flying;
{
    state_entry()
    {;
        llSetColor(<1,1,0>,ALL_SIDES);
        llSleep(1);
        flying = llGetAgentInfo(llGetOwner());
        if(flying & AGENT_FLYING)
            state flying;
        if(flying & ~AGENT_FLYING);
            state notflying;
    }
}

state flying
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetColor(<0,1,0>, ALL_SIDES);
        llSay(0, "Flying");
        llSleep(1);
            state default;
            state notflying;
}
}
state notflying
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetColor(<1,0,0>, ALL_SIDES);
        llSay(0, "Not Flying");
        llSleep(1);
            state flying;
            state default;
}
}

Hi Shiro,

Could you use "moving_start" and "moving_end" events to trigger llGetAgentInfo()? I don't think you can start/stop flying without starting/stopping motion, but I'm not sure. I also don't know if hovering looks like motion to an attachment. If it doesn't, you also have an easy way to turn particles off (or alter their appearance) when hovering.

I don't think you need several states.   I would keep it to one state and check things in a timer event, firing maybe once a second.

So, the basic structure of the timer event is something like this:

timer()	{		if(llGetAgentInfo(llGetOwner())&AGENT_FLYING)		{			//do something		}		else		{			//do something else		}	}

However, since you probably actually want to do stuff when someone starts or stops flying, you might want to consider this structure:

integer isFlying;default{	[...]		timer()		{			integer int = llGetAgentInfo(llGetOwner()) & AGENT_FLYING); //am I flying			if(!isFlying) //if I was not flying last time we looked			{				if(int)//but I am now				{					isFlying = TRUE; //make a note of the fact I'm flying					//and do something -- turn on the particles or whatever				}			}			else if (isFlying)			{ //if I was flying last time				if !(int)//but I am no longer flying				{					isFlying = FALSE;//make a note I am not flying					//and do something else, like turning off the particles				}			}		}}

I'd also suggest you consider testing llGetAnimation  rather than llGetAgentInfo.  

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using llGetAgentInfo, and I simply mention llGetAnimation because people often forget about it and and I often find it  easier to use than llGetAgentInfo because I can focus more narrowly on the avatar's actual animation state.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.