Google Translate now deprecated

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Many scripted translation tools used in-world, and the translation option in some viewers, use the Google Translate API.

Google has announced this is to be withdrawn on the 1st December 2011, and until then there will be a limit on the number of requests which can be made,

Google Translate Announcement

That's six months. With the limit on requests, I can see people complaining. Amd I don't see any easy answer.

• Like 1

Anything that kills off google is a good thing. The faster they marginalize themselves out of existence the better.

Just another opportunity for someone to step in with a superior solution that is not controlled by right wing idiots that believe invisible beings control the universe.

Unfortunately, Google Translate is not only the most widely used translation system today, it is by most accounts the most reliable and flexible.  It's behind a lot of the systems used not only in SL (like the popular Universal Translator and the built-in translators in Phoenix and other viewers) but in business applications around the world.  It parses immense numbers and kinds of documents to create a growing vocabulary and syntax engine.  Google has access to an incredible volume of text in world languages, and the Translate engine is one heck of a nice learning system.  I read a study about a year ago that compared Google Translate to the other three or four major systems at the time, and it was ranked as significantly more sophisticated and accurate.  No matter how you may feel about corporate Google, it's going to be hard to replace their translation system when it dies.

• Like 1

I missed have missed something here - but I haven't heard anything about Google's translation system dying. Google is switching off the free, public API - that's what I have heard. This doesn't surprise me, since there is no business model to support it. I'm sure there other business models that are the perfect context for this service and I'm pretty sure, Google will use their translation service for it.

• Like 2

Luc Starsider wrote:

I wonder if this mean LL will remove Google translate from the viewer? I hope not, because it's really funny to see all the weird translations it comes up with in world.

- Luc -

it is expected that they will put in a replacement. I will guess that the Bing translator will go in, mostly because MS is one of so few who can afford to run a thing like that!

it was never entirely unexpected, as the whole thing was built to learn what is being spoken vs what the textbooks say, to improve their own translation rate. to that end it was spectacularly successful and if you followed it from the begining you could see how well it improved it's accuracy across the board.

but google is a victim of it's own success, and the ease of access despite lower accuracy of the public appliance (which didn't allow alteration) made it hugely popular for real time translation that it wasn't quite ready for...in short they got slammed.

Now they're focusing on a better ways to brand and monetize it, again, no surprises there. the website inclusion (which sticks their widget on the webpage, low exposure, high visibility, and tracking) is sticking around because it adds value for them. SL may change to another service, but I predict those services will quickly dry up as well as the mass of current free users on google transition over and are also slammed. eventually it'll only be viable as a paid service or in limited static forms like you see for in page translations. at that point, it'll be pay or do without for live translation.

• 4 months later...

Pretty much any instant translator uses Google's system.  I know that's true of the popular free translators (Universal and Simbolic) and of the built-in translators that most viewers use.  There is no substitute waiting in the wings.  I'm afraid we will have no alternative but cutting and pasting through Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=mT) or Babelfish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/).  That's slow and clumsy, unfortunately, but we're stuck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.