Floating text not in a prim

Phillip Aubin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have an issue on a land I reside on with a few other residents. One of them made a floating text script and accidently dragged it off to nothingness. I located the floating text, but it is not in a prim, as I have checked all surrounding prims. It's just floating in mid-air. Is there any way to get rid of/return the floating text without returning the other 100-ish prims in the parcel she has placed?

Thanks in advance.

The text has to be associated with a rezzed prim.  That's the only way it can appear.   

Floating text like that is hard to track down; the larger the prim it's coming from, the further away you can see it.  So if it's visible from several positions on the sim, none of them particularly close to each other, I would start by investigating megaprims and suchlike in the area (I once dropped a script into the floor of my building platform, and it took me ages to track down).

One thing you might try is going round dropping this into suspect objects:

default{	state_entry()	{		llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_SET,[PRIM_TEXT,"",<1.0,1.0,1.0>,0.0]);//remove any hovertext		llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());//remove myself after doing stuff	}}

It will clear all hovertext coming from any prim in the linkset, and then remove itself.   So if you drop it into something and the text vanishes, you know you've found the right object.    The script that's causing the nuisance doesn't have to be in the prim any more -- hovertext is a prim property, like colour or size, that the script sets, but after that the script can be removed and the text remains.  

But from what you've described, I am pretty sure the culprit script will still be there, though not necessarily in the root prim of the object (so check with edit linked parts).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.