Finity's End

Void Singer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

RGB-HSL conversion is very useful. Someone was asking me about it a few weeks ago but didn't want to pay for development so I didn't do. As for the rest of it, I'm at a total loss. Are you all saying that a long time contributor has decided to quit over some trifle, like a deleted msg??

I only visit these forums occasionally and don't need any help writing scripts, seems doing well enough on my own :)

Void does seem a nice person so I'm sorry if she left and even more sorry to say she's totally wrong. The Lab does not assign any unpaid tasks to volunteers; they do it on their own with no gun held to head and no strings attached. The Lab has every right to control its web site (and the last I looked it is secondlife.com) and remove whatever content at its sole discretion. To bother a CEO of a multi-million company with per case removal complains is not a reasonable action regardless by whom originated.

Ela Talaj wrote:

I only visit these forums occasionally and don't need any help writing scripts, seems doing well enough on my own
:)

Void does seem a nice person so I'm sorry if she left and even more sorry to say she's totally wrong. The Lab does not assign any unpaid tasks to volunteers; they do it on their own with no gun held to head and no strings attached. The Lab has every right to control its web site (and the last I looked it is secondlife.com) and remove whatever content at its sole discretion.
To bother a CEO of a multi-million company with per case removal complains is not a reasonable action regardless by whom originated.

I agree with the bolded statement.  The Community Manager has never been identified and it is much more reasonable to take issues up with him/her.  Short of that, we are invited and free to post whatever it is we wish to post on Rodvik's board or tweet to him.  His virtual office door is open. 

Some even post to request a pony.  Would that be bothering him?

Rufus Darkfold wrote:

Given that the purpose of this forum is to discuss scripting and to help each other with scripting questions,  it is unfortunate and rather baffling that LL seems to have run off its most knowledgable and helpful contributor. 

Oh, Grasshopper, be not baffled by the Lindens.  They are an inscrutable race.

An aspect that does cause some pause is how they managed to run her off, finally.  I mean, Void was tough to shake, having weathered the transition from vBulletin to the perfectly dreadful Jive platform (what an unmitigated piece of crap that was), which caused the loss of most of the experienced contributors to the scripting forums.  Then another transition to Lithium, which is surely a technical improvement but... well, most of us can barely stand to post here anymore.  Yet Void soldiered on.

It's appropriate to consider what Void identified as the precipitating event, the last straw.  But there's a broader question: How has it gotten so dreadful here that even Void won't continue?  And how ever do you fix that?

LL Community Management is interested in attracting new residents by pushing content out to FB.  I understand this for without new residents (particularly PAYING ones), SL's might not survive.  However, if one takes the long view and is successful at pulling new residents into SL, who will be left to answer questions, mentor, lend a hand?

Rufus Darkfold wrote:

Given that the purpose of this forum is to discuss scripting and to help each other with scripting questions,  it is unfortunate and rather baffling that
LL seems to have run off its most knowledgable and helpful contributor

She wasn't the first in that category, and she suuurre won't be the last, which I think is the greater point she is exemplifying by her leaving.

Venus Petrov wrote:

LL Community Management is interested in attracting new residents by pushing content out to FB.  I understand this for without new residents (particularly PAYING ones), SL's might not survive.  However, if one takes the long view and is successful at pulling new residents into SL,
who will be left to answer questions, mentor, lend a hand?

Oh, there will always be someone(s) to fill the void (no pun intended); and they will get burned / burned-out and leave, too. One would think that this would be a death-spiral cycle, but it never turns out to be one. The company never learns, and people keep feeding them quarters so they don't have to.

That doesn't and shouldn't diminish Void's efforts, both prior to and as of her departure. It's just the nature of boundless, unconcerned optimism.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.