Disallowing two (or more) of the same object

ZachMatheson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Team,

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction here.

I have an object that avatars are supposed to attach to their skull.

If they attach multiple of these objects across their body, what is the easiest way for me to detect the extra objects so I can call a llDetachFromAvatar to remove them?

Was thinking like a "Marco"-"Polo" type game

llGetAttachedList could work too if the object is no mod to where the name/description can't/won't be changed.

In that case I would put some identifying name/number to look for in the description field

You could use llGetObjectDetails and run through the list of attachments and get their descriptions. If one or more has the same identifying string, then it's a match and they already have the attachment attached

How about the item, on attaching, opens a listener and asks "Am I the first?"     If it receives a reply, it detaches itself.   If it doesn't, when it receives the question "Am I the first" from an item belonging to its owner, it replies "Nope!"..

integer iItemChannel;key kOwner;default{	attach(key id)	{		if(id){			kOwner = id;			iItemChannel = (integer)("0xF" + llGetSubString(kOwner,0,6)) - 150;			llListen(iItemChannel,"","","");			llRegionSayTo(kOwner, iItemChannel, "Am I the first?");		}	}	listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)	{		if(llGetOwnerKey(id)==kOwner){			if("Am I the first?" == message){				llRegionSayTo(id, iItemChannel, "Nope!");			}			else if ("Nope!" == message){				llRequestPermissions(kOwner, PERMISSION_ATTACH);			}		}	}	run_time_permissions(integer perm)	{		//etc	}}
  • Like 1

wherorangi wrote:

i would probably look at using llGetAttachedList on attach

then read some unique property of any attachments with the same name 

I would try wherorangi's approach first personally. Even as basic as the same name. The first one will never find a duplicate. The second one would. The only time I can figure we'd have more than two is an Add race. They only need to find one other to detach.

anti-gamification measures are a pretty deep subject and lots depends on how the game is constructed

anti-gamification measures are pretty much all about non-trust

the game server never accepts/trusts what a player tells it without a independent way of verifying what it is told. Typically by monitoring the players actions as they play to earn the gameplay points/tokens/etc

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.