Creating a Baseball script -- Tracking a Particle past 50m

El Bohemian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey Guys,

A friend and I are creating a baseball game within Second Life -- Everything is going swimmingly, but we ran into a problem for the outfielders. When a ball is hit to the outfield it disappears around 50m -- We've tried multiple work arounds, but our question is how can we get a rezzed object to appear beyond 50m. This is paramount to the success of our game, since the outfielder needs to react to the ball off of the bat, and not while in mid air.

Explain Like I'm 5 -- We need the baseball bat to rez a ball that can be followed beyond 50meters. 

How do you propose we do this ?

I appreciate any thoughts, and ideas! 

Thanks Guys,

El Bohemian

• Like 1

=(^_^)= your answer is in the math, most likely. with the proper ballistic algorithm a baseball can hit any imaginable trajectory. just needs a little more oomph. can be tricky finding that sweet spot between beanbag toss & bullet firing, but any speed & distance is possible.

also hope you are not using a particle as your title says. would make the baseball game... umm... challenging to say the least. instead use a physical mesh (or prim).

If it is a size vs distance rendering problem, a couple of things come to mind. First, a small object will be visible from a longer distance if it's linked to a much larger one, even if the larger one is fully transparent and of Physics Type "None". Don't know if that would work here.

The other thing is that Andrew's work on an improved interestlist may possibly solve the problem for you, as long as the viewer's cam is pulled in close enough to the object to be tracked from a distance, whereas the current interestlist is determined by the avatar's location. No guarantees about that, though, because it could be viewer-side clipping that's hiding those distant small objects, I don't know. You might pay a visit to the Aditi sim where this stuff is being tested and see if it's any different.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.