Controlling Model's joints rotations from script

gilben

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello 

I am trying to build a tool that adjust in accurate poses.

I have seen Anypose and others that are gaining full control over the joints rotation of a modeling avatar.

I admit i am new to scripting, and i was unabled to find such controlling commands over the avi body.

I'd appriciate any hint of how to approach this. thank you.

Screenshot_1.png

Hello 

I am trying to build a tool that adjust in accurate poses.

I have seen Anypose and others that are gaining full control over the joints rotation of a modeling avatar.

I admit i am new to scripting, and i was unabled to find such controlling commands over the avi body.

I'd appriciate any hint of how to approach this. thank you.

Screenshot_1.png

I don't know, but I strongly suspect, given the nature of the product, that the maker has uploaded a lot of his or her own .bvh files that control only the avatar's joint positions, and the operator uses those, layered over each other, to create the desired pose.  

That's how I would do it, anyway.

• Like 1

There are no scripting commands to control joints only to start and stop animations. I suggest you look at this page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_to_create_animations and play around with the free animation tools such as Qavimator and AnimMaker. Try doing something really simple and then look at the file that is created. Animation files are just text files so you can open them up with notepad.

• Like 1

There are no script functions for that, so it's not possible.

- It's possible to make an animation only affect one single joint and leave all others untouched.

- You can play as many animations at the same time as you want.

So what you can do is: for every joint make a number of poses - lets say in 2° steps - or whatever keeps the overall number of poses - lets say: under 500 :D

A script can then play one pose per joint at the same time.

• Like 1

There is in fact a limit on how many user-supplied animations an avatar can play simultaneously, but I can't remember what it is now... something like twenty or thirty, I think... maybe fewer. [*]

Trying this particular product in-world (with Develop / Avatar / Animation Info enabled), it's pretty clear that it has a range of only a few hundred animation primitives that it combines... and comes nowhere near approximating the range nor granularity of animations possible with standard .bvh animations.

(Note that there's also a whole additional realm of non-bvh animations which is probably better documented somewhere other than this wiki article, but I don't know where.)

If the objective is really to make animations, then there are much better ways to go about it, including the already suggested external programs, or in-world using precise mannequin posing for bvh file creation

* [EDIT] No wonder my memory was vague. Per the wiki: "Only 30 animations can be played at a time. (Prior to 1.25.4 the limit was 15 and prior to 1.25.3 there was no limit at all.)"

• Like 1

Thank you all peeps, very helpful info. 

I understand its a sisyphean workaround solution.

My initial intention was to correct pre-made poses within a hud i build.

but then got very curious of how it being done by such tools.

kudos to all

G

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.