Controlling Model's Eyes and Expression from HUD

gilben

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Scripters!

I have seen some tools that allow HUD controlling of a model's eyes position and expressions.

I am building my own HUD and I was searching for what would be the script approach for having another avi control by permission.

Any referance would be appriciated

Thank you!!

Hello Scripters!

I have seen some tools that allow HUD controlling of a model's eyes position and expressions.

I am building my own HUD and I was searching for what would be the script approach for having another avi control by permission.

Any referance would be appriciated

Thank you!!

If you are talking about regular avatars (that is, not mesh ones), you are limited in what you can do with eyes and facial expressions.

Facial expressions are controlled by 19 internal animations (identified in that list by names beginning with the prefix express_).  These can either be played singly or you can layer them to produce particular effects.  There's a very simple example of how to do this here or a far more complex one by Dora Gustafson here

Eye movements are controlled by the user's camera position.   Scripts can take control of your camera and move it about but I have no idea if that affects the eye movement.   

If you are talking about mesh avatars, then facial expressions and eye moments are controlled by changing the textures on various layers of the face, and changing the visibility of various layers.

Either way, it's probably going to be simplest if your system uses two items -- a HUD you use to send messages about what to do and a receiver your model wears that receives the messages and then plays the animations, moves the camera or changes the texture.  

• Like 1

As I said in my earlier reply, normally your eyes move to look in the direction your camera is pointing at.    Usually, photographers ask you to focus your camera on a prim that's out of the shot and then they use the edit tools to move the prim about to get your eyes pointing how they want.

So, the first thing I'd try is using llSetCameraParams to move the seated avatar's camera around, and see if the avatar's eyes move too.   I don't know if that would make the avatar's eyes move, since I've never tried it, but I can't offhand think of another way to do it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.