Completely stuck..... (llSay issue??)

Lucka Bamaisin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I seem to be stuck at what appears to be a very simple thing to do....

So, I have a boat which listens to specific commands to change the texture of one of it's sails (via local chat): "texture mainsail UUID". Whenever I issue this command with a valid UUID this works. Now I have created a HUD which issues that command to the (rezzed) boat and it doesn't work. Instead of my avatar ("Me") saying this in local, the prim is now saying it and this (of course) is not recognized as the boat's owner.

Is there a way to make a prim say something in name of it's owner (in this case) or am I going at this the wrong way?

Thanks,

Lucka

PS: I don't want my name or av-UUID hardcoded, I need it to adapt to whomever is using the HUD.

You don't need to be saying the command, you probably just need to better-clarify the acceptable UUID.

Within the listen event, Instead of testing:-

if(id == llGetOwner())

Test instead:-

if(llGetOwnerKey(id) == llGetOwner())

This will test if the owner of the object talking is you - it will mean all of your owned objects can "speak for" you.

Also note that limiting the llListen() (if this is what you're doing) is not the right way to accomplish this.

For help beyond guesswork please post the affected sections of script, using the script button (which looks like '< >')

Best of luck.

I may be reading this incorrectly, but I get the sense that the boat script containing the listener is not under the OP's control. In that case, it is probably filtering its llListen() to only the owner's key. There's no way for another scripted object to say anything "in the name of" anybody or anything else, in that sense (and thank god for that!).

On the other hand, this would be an awfully silly way to script a boat, so hopefully I'm misunderstanding the situation.

This possibility had occured to me - though I might not've communicated clearly the lack of options that would present.

It's not unheard of for scripters to inadvertantly over-limit functions that those down the line might want. One of my current projects involves swapping a transitory, constantly changing timerevent sequence to a persistent timer. Reeeaal hassle, even with Modify access to the script.

Well, as far as I understand my boat (:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:) that is exactly what happens.. As the boat is no transfer it makes sense to make sure only the owner can change the textures of the sails. Mind you, the rest of the boat is textured the normal way, but the sails can only be textured in the way I described....

Not going into why it would be a silly way to script the boat, this is the way it is. Understanding that no scripted object can say something for someone else, do you guys have any way of making this happen, because I know it can be done. I have a texturepack (bought from a competitor), complete with HUD which does exactly what I want, but being a texturemaker myself I wanted to make my own HUD to sell with my packs...

Any advice is welcome!

It can be done, but only as Freya described.  In virtually any scripting environment where there are access restrictions, your flexibility is determined by the most restrictive part of the system.  In this case, it sounds like that's your boat.  If it is scripted to listen only to its owner, you can't override that restriction by doing something to another script.  The only way to tell the boat that it's OK to listen to your HUD is to modify the boat's script as Freya suggested.  As others have said, it's kind of a dumb way to script a boat, but there's not much you can do about that, except maybe talk to the creator.

Lucka Bamaisin wrote:

I have a texturepack (bought from a competitor), complete with HUD which does exactly what I want

Again, I'm surmising that you don't have access to the boat's script, so you can't see how the boat is getting information from this competitor's HUD. My hunch is that it's listening to that HUD on a secret channel (in addition to listening to the owner on channel 0). Now, if the boat really isn't documented to do that, perhaps your competitor is in some kind of development partnership with the boat maker.

(I have to say, though, this all seems improbable. I mean, how many of these specific boats can possibly be sold to generate such a demand in aftermarket re-texturing HUDs? I still must be missing something.)

I'm a bit confused now.   

If you want to script something that responds to chat commands from the object's owner and also to chat commands coming from objects belonging to the owner, that's simple.   You do it the way Freya describes.    Check for if (llGetOwnerKey(id)==llGetOwner()) in the listen event.   That means, in English, "if whoever or whatever has just spoken to me is either my owner or belongs to my owner".

If that's not what you want to do, can you please explain specifically who you want to be able to do what to a boat belonging to me?    Should someone other than me be able to change the sail texture, and, if so, who?

Just found out that replies aren't posted under the relevant post, so I will give my answers in one post.

@ Rolig: Maybe that is the only correct way out, talking to the creator and see if he will cooperate. If he would give me a channelnumber I am assuming that the problem is solved as the boat specifficaly listens on that channel? Or is there something else I have to take into account?

@ Qie: See my reply to Rolig. As for the boat in question, trust me.. the maker (and this boat in particular) is the most successfull boat builder in SL of this moment. As an avid sailor, myself, I would say she corners more than 45% of the total market :-)

@ Innula: I think that IS the problem... As I don't have access to the boat's script I cannot "make" the boat listen to anything.... The reason why (I thought) it should be dynamic is to make sure that I can sell the HUD to you, or anyone else , and be certain it picked up the right owner credntials... You start the HUD, you can change the textures BECAUSE you are the owner.

I will contact the Scripter and ask him if he is willing to provide more information to do this. As soon as Ihave that I will post back here. All, thanks for your feedback so far!!

I think I know which range of boats you are talking about, as I'm looking at buying one right now and I recognise the command phrase (not that others might not use it) and wondering about access for alts and things like that. I've been searching for this sort of information as it's a lot of L$ for me to drop on something, especially if my alt can't even use it.

Do you have modify permission on the sail? If so, could you drop your own listener script in there to do the retexturing?

I'm sort of gussing not, that the sail is rezzed by the boat or somthing like that. If it's the boat I think, I noticed that the description says "All mesh parts of the boat come modify" (emphasis mine).

Yes, I'm fishing for info as well as trying to be possibly helpful :smileywink:

ETA: If the scripter does give you the channel number, it might be that a specific command phrase (different from the 'spoken' one) is used. Just ask that as well. I had a creator give me that information for a product I wanted to control remotely and that was exactly how it worked; he gave me the command sequences too.

Thanks for the clarification.    Your post and Vulpinus' make things a lot clearer.

If I correctly understand the situation, A makes boats.   B makes HUDs that an owner of one of A's boats can use to retexture the boat's sails.   You want to make similar HUDs, in competition with those offered by B, that owners of A's boats can use.

You really need to consult A about this.   She and her scripter willl know the API for the texturing system (well, B will know it, too, but isn't likely to to want to explain it to potential competitors).    That is, they know what channel the HUD uses and will also know exactly how commands sent by the HUD need to be presented.     The HUD presumably sends the texture UUID as part of the message but it may well preface it with a keyword or even encode the whole message.   There's no way to know that without seeing the scripts or asking someone.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input! I've been in touch with the designer and she gave me the channel number and voila! works like a charm! Now, don't go relaxing too much as my next move is making this HUD ready to read the UUID information from a notecard and step 3 in this project is trying to retexture the complete boat through a HUD :matte-motes-sunglasses-1::matte-motes-sunglasses-1: I am pretty sure I will have more questions to ask/issues to resolve!!

Anyway, as my first ever script and my introduction to the scripting community, I could not be any happier with the help all of you provided!

Hugz to all,

Lucka

Glad you got it - I'll likely be asking for the info myself too. Nothing commercial - I just like being able to do things myself.

With regards to everything else you just mentioned - should be simple enough. Getting the commands is the hard bit. I can imagine a one-click makeover, with the texture sets read from a notecards, and presented by an automatic menu system in the HUD.

Sounds fun!

I'm still debating with myself on the boat - just been out for another test sail. I always procrastinate though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.