Coding - newbie question

Lboro12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello guys,

I am new to SL and would greatly appreciate it if you could answer some of my queries.

I have to familiarise myself with the game as part of my final year project in order to achieve certain objectives. But whether these objectives are feasible or not, depends on your answers.

Basically, what I want to create is a virtual class-room (pc lab room) where the user can configure routers inside the room and these routers are at the same connected to VMware routers.

For instance, if an user in the SL pc lab room types in a command 'add ip address ...', it should send the command to a vmware router and return the result back to the pc in SL.

If it is feasible, great, I will do as much research as possible to implement it, however, if not -- I need to know as soon as possible so I can look for alternative platforms.

Thanks in advance

yepp 'easiest' (in quotations) way to achieve that would be to set up a webinterface, which serves a command prompt for VM ware, and is dropped onto a server / website, and will send the given commands towards the router / VM ware. With Mediatextures assigned to prims you could have each student have access his/her website interface / command prompt and interact with it.

Hello guys,

Thank you so much for your comments.

To give you an idea what I am trying to achieve in the greater scheme, basically the univerisity that I am attending has a particular module where we configure physicial cisco routers and switches. Given the costs involved purchasing these equipments, they have assigned me this project to actually create a virtual network lab where students log-in to Second Life game, get allocated a pre-assigned Computer (that basically gives them command prompt), couple of switches and routers, play around with linking them and assigning network commands (such as add ip, configure bgp, create vlan). This sends these commands to an actual virtual router/switch in VMware and returns the result.

Now, as I am new to SL, I assume I would have to get the premium membership if I want to setup my own virtual network lab? Secondly, when creating a webinterface (serving as a command prompt for a vmware router/switch), do I have to embed that interface in Second Life or drop it in to an actual web server?

Does anyone have any online examples that I can look at?

Ela Talaj, ideally I would love to achieve that but do not want to undertake if it requires considerable amount of developer months given the time I have been allocated ( 4-6 months).

Thank you in advance

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.