C# to be the scripting language for The Next Generation Platform

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In case people have missed it, Ebbe Linden confirmed that the scripting language in The Next Generation Platform (what some people  had been calling "SL2" but apparently shouldn't any more) will be C#.

[49:37] the scripting language will be C#, which is a good thing, because there’s obviously a lot more people who know how to do things in C# than there ever will be to learn how to do something in Linden Scripting Language, so you’ll have a real programming language to work with.
https://modemworld.wordpress.com/2015/03/19/vwbpe-2015-ebbe-altberg-lls-next-generation-platform/#scripting

I had already started learning C# because I expected this (it was a very obvious choice) and I'm enjoying it.    There's a lot of material availble on how to use C# with 3D content (e.g. for Unity or Unreal Engine, including those engines' own tutorials), and I think it's a lot easier than LSL.     That may be because I'm now used to breaking down scripting problems into logical units because of using LSL, but also I find that with C# I can do things with one function that would take me three or four functions in LSL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cool, I'm in for Second Life for the long haul, because I recognize the potential, use and fun that can be had.

Been starting to investigate Unity and was trying to decide if I should focus on learning C#, and wanted to find out what SL was planning to do, so this helps a lot.

C# is then, that way any time I spend learning something (valuable time as I get older, lol) can be used in either platform, and that makes me happy.

Look forward to what SL2 has to offer, and by then I should have some creative skills honed and ready to offer SL2 some new and creative content.

:D

• 6 months later...

entity0x wrote:

[...snip...]

C# is then, that way any time I spend learning something (valuable time as I get older, lol)
can be used in either platform,
and that makes me happy.
[...snip...]

Am I to understand we can run C# inworld today? If so how?

Thanks

No, the snipped-away part of that quote refers to Unity, so "either platform" presumably refers to Unity and Sansar, not Second Life.

I have to say, though, the use of C# in Sansar doesn't really tell us much about what scripting will be like. I mean, it's surely a "nicer" language than LSL, but until we know what library functions are available and what constraints are imposed, it's buying a car knowing the paint job without seeing under the hood.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.