Boat scripts

Vin Soulstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

I recently purchased a sailboat on market place (more like a pirate boat), trouble is it isnt set up for use with SL wind.

My question, how easy, or hard is it to turn this boat into one where i dont have to hold down the up arrow to keep the boat going forward.

I have never tried scripting before so any help would be appreciated.

It would be easy enough, except that SL wind is awful for sailing :-(  The problem being that it is designed to be exciting and interesting and make flags flap around in different directions - or something, anyway the result is that it changes all the time and can completely reverse in 10s or so.

So that leaves you with two options: pretend there's another 'wind' that is rather more consistent or just have a stop/go button and don't bother with wind at all.  'Proper' sailing boats in SL use the former and there is a popular 'WWC' system that will do most of the 'weather' work for you.  The problem with this is that you're rather expected to work out all the physics of your boat and what effect there is from wind (and waves and current) at different strengths and directions.  I recommend Starboards' Yacht Club in Hollywood sim on the Blake Sea as a place to check-out some 'real' SL sailing boats.  If you can find someone around it's also a good place to get information.

The alternative is just to forget about wind.  Edit the script so touch makes the boat llMoveToTarget() or llSetForce() to it.  Touch again to stop.  Steering is another matter.

Hehe - now, the problem with both those options is that you haven't told us if the script in the boat, or even the boat itself, is no-mod.  If that's the case then you're stuck.

The Vehicle functions in LSL are rather daunting but simple enough if you read what they all do.  The combination of bouyancy, directional stability, etc. mean I would think this would make an 'adventurous' first project.  Start with something much simpler.

Head over to Tradewinds Yacht Club in the Dex sim and pick up the BWind free sailboat scripts created by Beca Mouliez along with the tutorial on how to put it all together. That way you get the proper sailing experience and feel good about having created it yourself.

here's the link to the tutorial which will help:

https://sites.google.com/site/tradewindsyc/boat-building

Yes!  Beca's "BWind" scripts are terrific.

As for the flukey SL physical wind, the BWind scripts (and others for SL sailing) include an option to set wind speed and direction.  This is sort of like the "magewind" of Ursula K. LeGuin's "Earthsea" novels.

I appreciate everyones replies greatly. :)

The one im going to attemp to work on is this one. (appoligies in advance if im not allowed to post links here)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/BLACKSPOT-The-Pelican/396898

The boat itself is modify, as i said i have never tried anything like this before so hopefully that means the scripts themself can be modified aswell.

I will pop to the locations you all recommended and see how i go, the boat is copy aswell so atleast i can tinker with a copy of it not having to worry about breaking it. :)

Will post back here in a week or so and let you all know if i have succeeded or got shot down in a ball of flames. lol

Hi Vin.

On Marketplace I took a look at the ship you're planning to mod and have a couple of comments.

Firstly the likelihood of the scripts being mod is to my mind fairly low - the price and complexity of the product  tends to suggest you'll be presented with no-mod scripts, but I could be totally wrong. You might however be able to simply delete the scripts and start from scratch.

Secondly, looking at the extent of sail on board and given your initial statement of being new to scripting, without belittling your capabilities, I think adapting the BWind sailing scripts for that number and style of sails might be a bit challenging as a first project.

Cubey Terra created and made available an Creative Commons license submarine which uses a vehicle script which has a stepped motor - you can select the speed using the up/down keys and it continues to move until you step back down through the speed settings to zero. That might be a better starting point to save you keeping your finger on the keys and developing RSI.

It's called the Herring 2 and last time I looked, it was available at The GNUbie Store or Stillman Bazaar. It used to be at Abbotts Aerodrome, but that's gone now so I hope it's still available at the other locations.

Good luck on whichever creation route you select.

Carbon

Addendum: Also just realised it's got way more than the 32 prim max allowed for regular physical vehicles, so you're also outside the scope for really anything other than a partial wear vehicle setup or alternatively I believe if you accept the new Land Impact basis of prim calculating you can set some of the prims to have 0 physical presence and reduce it to the 32 limit. Thay may have serious impact on the LI value though.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.