Any ways to automatically prompt viewers to change environmental settings?

iamyourneighbour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, Just want to know if there's any ways to prompt a viewer to change its environmental settings automatically? Sending out a notification to ask people who visit the parcel is not really all that productive. I am not on an estate so I cannot modify the environmental scenery the visitors see directly.

Hello all, Just want to know if there's any ways to prompt a viewer to change its environmental settings automatically? Sending out a notification to ask people who visit the parcel is not really all that productive. I am not on an estate so I cannot modify the environmental scenery the visitors see directly.

An estate owner can change the default setting. If the visitors use the sim default then they will switch, but it's their decision to do so or not.

For a parcel you can use windlight settings. Works with most TPV's. It's the visitors decision to allow automatic switching or not.

So the resident decides in all cases if they want to switch the windlight/environmental setting automatic / with confirmation / never - and that's a good thing.

Besides of that: Scripts run on the server and they have no viewer access so can't be used for that.

There is RLV that allows scripted or manual commands to the viewer. But I don't know if windlight is included there and of course it will require a permission request. :)

• Like 1

You can use RLV to change Windlight settings, either by changing individual Windlight components or by having the viewer load a particular preset (assuming, of course, the viewer is aware of the preset).   See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/RestrainedLifeAPI#Viewer_Control

I agree, though, that this isn't really a solution to this problem, since it depends on the visitor to the parcel using RLV, wearing an active RLV relay and agreeing to the allow the parcel to change the visitor's windlight settings.

• Like 1

Do bear in mind, though, that using RLV commands work only if your visitors are using a viewer that has RLV in the first place (so not the Official Viewer).   Furthermore, individual visitors have previously to have enabled RLV in their viewers and also to be wearing active RLV relays.

Some parcels that's not going to be too much of an issue, but it's not a general solution.   You know your parcel and visitors best, though, so you are best placed to decide.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.