Animations stopping on their own?

Psistorm Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've recently built a mesh avatar using Bento animations for hands, head, and tail. All in all I'm very satisfied, though I've come to notice that sometimes the animations just kind of stopped without any discernable reason.

To start the animations, I have two triggers for on_rez and attach, the former querying llGetAttached() before starting an animation trigger permission request.
Once the permissions have been granted, I scan the active animations for any leftover animations that each script can play, and if any are found, stop them so no stale animations can play through, say, a script reset or anything.

After this cleanup, my animations are set to play. On animation switches - for facial expressions for example - I first stop the old animations that were playing, then start the new ones afterward.

Other than that, there is no other stop logic, and yet, I sometimes realize that my animations have stopped seemingly on their own. Are there any other conditions - teleport, region change, etc - that can stop looping animations? I should also mention that I make use of single-frame looped animations as well, though they seem just as effected as my multi-frame looped animations.

Animations are played client-side, so they shouldn't even be aware that you have changed regions or teleported unless a changed event in your script tells them.  When scripted animations stop, it's usually most likely that they have been overridden by another script, like an AO.  Your script might stop a looping anim that an AO triggered, but it doesn't stop the AO itself. If the AO then triggers an anim with a higher priority, its command beats yours. That's why you often need to turn off an AO while you're dancing.

• 6 years later...

experiencing issues myself over the last 5 days relating animations stopping without a reason (that I can see). 

Appreciate this forum is old but only related one I could find. 

Its not a launcher issue, ive tried LL, FS and BD. Ive clean installed all, removed any cache for all, issue continues. 

Its not something im wearing, happens even if I remove everything. 

in turn random things switch off, AO, holding animations, any form of facial positioning hud (axis)

Happens with old saved outfits that are years old and never had an issue. 

Tried removing everything and adding one by one to see what causes issue, but different answer everytime. 

Tried redelivering body, head, creating new AO, starting from default avi. 

Checked my animation priorities and nothing new causing the issue. Nothing rezzed on my land or elsewhere that has a forced animation ect. Tried different regions and over multiple days.

https://gyazo.com/26f330d86dea20bdfc435492063ff4db

Im lost what else to try now. 

The problem happens when you detach or stand up from something that is animating you.

Certain attachments that are also animating you will then stop playing animations.

This bug was initially reported in https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-225288

I outlined the repro conditions in the last two comments of that report.

I have brought this issue up in the server meetings and directly to developers asking me what bugs I think should be looked at for years now and no developer will make it a priority to fix despite it affecting everyone.

• 2 months later...

I've begun running into this same issue.  I've built several airships that use the same flying scripts, and up until this last week the sitting portion of the script worked perfectly.  I sent out several copies for testing about a month ago and no-one has reported an issue.  However, beginning yesterday when I was flying the sitting animation would after a few seconds stop working.  I would end up in a static standing pose I don't recognize.  The flying portion of the script would still work but I'd have my feet sticking out of the bottom of the fuselage.

The animation does the same thing when simply played in-world.  Instead of looping it simply stops.

Possibly related, at an event five days ago every dance animation I tried would run for a few seconds and then stop, leaving me standing.  This included animations from a dance ball as well as animations I had in inventory, and yes, these were all looping animations, as are my flying animations.

I was not wearing an AO.  None of the few attachments I had on included animations.  The situation was repeated in all the vehicles that use this same script.  It happens when I am using the current version of the official viewer, and in every version of Firestorm from 6.6.8 to 7.0.0 Alpha.  It's not OS related (MacOS 11.7.10) or network related.  SOMETHING is causing looping animations to stop looping, but I am at my wits' end trying to figure out what's happening.

Edited by Skyrockett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.