Looking for a job in Second Life

Mircea Lobo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First of all the long story short: I'm 26 and have been a SL user for precisely a decade now, although I rarely ever used it to make money. I don't yet have a job in real life... and for motives I won't get into, I cannot get one currently. Because reasons and people, I now risk being left without any income and ending up on the streets rather quickly. Therefore I'm looking at the few options I have, and SL is one of the first among them.

One problem is that I haven't worked in SL before, and can't say I'm particularly skilled at anything. I did quite a bit of scripting and building in the past and have average kowledge in LSL, while I am also quite good with Blender 3D meaning I could perhaps help with mesh making to some extent. What I am mostly aiming for however is something based on in-world interaction, like working in a club or organizing tours of sims or other things of the sort. Roleplay related stuff is also okay, although I don't have much imagination nor a good ability to concentrate, so I worry I might mess up at that part.

In regard to requirements, I only have a few, which hopefully won't sound picky and get people hating at me: First of all, I don't want something that pressures me into being there X hours a day / week, and would get me in trouble if I happen to not come online for a given period of time... rather something I can do when I find it possible, and of course only get paid for the amount of work I did overall. The place must also, at worst, be okay with me having a furry avatar... and at best be a furry sim since I'd very much prefer working at one if possible. Lastly, I'd like to first know if withdrawing money from SL will drag me into any weird legal stuff, since some people reported having their transfers suspended and being asked by Linden to sign some form by email because the government got involved.

Other technical stuff: I'm from Europe (Romania) so I can usually be online between about 14:00 and 4:00 GMT+2. I also run x64 Linux (openSUSE 13.2) which means I cannot run Windows software unless it works under WINE. I also can't enable the advanced shaders due to a driver bug, so I can't see or create objects that use complex materials. Lastly, I use both the main grid and OpenSim, so feel free to include jobs on any grid in case a commercial OS based grid has something I'm looking for.

All in all, I'll need at least 200 US$ a month to survive, which seems to be about 50.000 L$. I can imagine that's a lot, so I won't be surprised if there is probably no solution for me on SL. I still thought to ask just in case, so please let me know if there's anything which even somewhat matches these criteria. Thank you.

50k is not THAT much but you would have to be on your own - creator. Also, the list of your "can't do-s" is way too long. Since you have no particular skill I suggest you find some freelance site or any other real life way of earning money, SL might disappoint you.

I am considering a few other options as well... not putting my hope in much really. As for content creation, I know it's a very active domain in SL... and since I'm experienced with Blender 3D I might be able to do something there. Not sure exactly what people are most interested in however, nor where and how to buy a slot in the market for selling stuff you create.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.