Searching inventory by permission

Ren Float

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have Googled looking for a way to search the inventory according to permission, and the closest I have found is how to search by LACK of permission. That is, it's a simple matter to find those items that do NOT allow me to copy them, but I haven't been able to find a way to locate all (and only) those items which I AM allowed to copy.

Is there a way that I've overlooked?

=============================

Rolig Loon: Ugh.... I've not been into SL for a year yet, and I've got almost 40k items in inventory. If I'm going to go item by item, I think I'd rather create a folder named Copiable, and copy each one there - rather than rename it (which takes more effort). I had hoped there was a filter somewhere (like when I search for an NC), or a way to specify where to search for a match (like when I search by creator).

Well.... at least I know I haven't missed what I would consider to be a very helpful option.

---------

Rolig Loon: Arggg.... you're not the first one to tell me this, but I'm a packrat. The moment I delete something I just KNOW I'll want it. :) But, I'm going to have to do something, I suppose. I've been meaning to package up the things I don't use all the time into a prim. Or see about totally deleting the folders in Library (I rarely go there).

=============================

Alwin Alcott: I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

What I was actuallly looking for (today) were transferable items. I felt that using Copy as the example, though, was more likely to be something that others had done... and therefore more likely to get a response. I'll remember your tip when I am looking for Copy items.

3 answers to this question

Only if you have had a personal practice of including the word (copy) in the name of each item as you saved it in your inventory.  I have never heard of anyone who did that, but you could use it the same way that you can search for worn items by typing (worn in the inventory's search box.

• Like 1

Lvddawter wrote:

[ .... ]

Rolig Loon: Ugh.... I've not been into SL for a year yet, and I've got almost 40k items in inventory. If I'm going to go item by item, I think I'd rather create a folder named Copiable, and copy each one there - rather than rename it (which takes more effort). I had hoped there was a filter somewhere (like when I search for an NC), or a way to specify where to search for a match (like when I search by creator).

Well.... at least I know I haven't missed what I would consider to be a very helpful option.

Actiually, one of the first things you ought to do is start a rigorous program of inventory cleaning before yours gets really out of hand.  A large inventory isn't merely inconvenient.  It can have serious repercussions.  During login, your viewer has to verify its inventory cache.  The larger your inventory is, the longer that takes.  If it takes too long, your viewer will time out and login will fail.  Worse than that, the larger your inventory is, the higher the probability that you will have data loading errors whenever you need to refresh your cache by downloading a new copy from the servers.  In simplest terms, that means you can lose inventory, or at least access to it.  I have known several people and heard stories from others who have lost over 50,000 items.  Linden Lab can sometimes help recover from that problem, but the risk is always there when your inventory is too large.

So, what's too large?  Most people would say that anything over about 40K is too much.  Many people keep their inventory well below 20K.  After more than 8 years in SL, mine has crept up to about 33K.  It takes regular, ruthless housecleaning to keep it at that level.  I am a scripter and builder, so I can accumulate several thousand trial items a year easily if I am not careful.  At least once a week, I go through my Recent listing and eliminate all but the most vital new things.  Every month or two, I devote time to deep cleaning -- removing whole folders, boxing items to consolidate old projects, wiping out old notecards and dead landmarks.  I can't afford to lose things that I have built or scripts that I have written for clients, so inventory maintenance is not optional.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.