Roomates and Object Permissions

Nalytha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Not unless you allow it.  The smartest way to do it is to create a group >>> https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Joining-and-participating-in-groups/ta-p/700117

Then,

1. Make your own alt (NOT your roommate) a co-owner of the group.   This is important.  A group owner can never be forced to leave, has full power over all group assets, and can invite others to join the group. The only person you can trust with that responsibility is your own alt. (In fact, before you go any farther, take time to review the abilities that each role has, so that you understand what you are about to allow your roommate to do --- or not do.)

2. Invite your roommate to be a member of the group, in some role less than an owner (Everyone is a nice role).

3. Stand on your land, open World >>> About Land >>> General, and SET (not deed) the land to your group.

4. Open the About Land >>> Options tab and check to be sure that the boxes for permission to Create Objects and to Allow Object Entry are checked to allow Group Only.  This will give group members (including your roommate) permission  to rez objects, but will not open it for the general public to use as a sandbox.

Either of you will be able to move objects that are shared with the group.  If you are on each other's Friends lists, you can also go to your profiles and give each other permission to edit your objects.  (Be careful about that one, though.  Friends can get into some nasty arguments about messing with each other's things. )

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nalytha said:

I know I'm necro'ing this, but this thread is the first thing that pops up when I google roommate permissions. I have a question about this last part -- what if I want them to have the ability to decorate, but I don't want them to be able to touch or move my stuff? My land is set to my group and under objects, all of the items on my land are set to group. Does that mean a roommate would be able to move them? Would I need to take everything down and re-rez it as owner, instead of group? 

The cannot mess with your stuff if all of the following are true - with the object rezzed as group:

1  The object has not been 'deeded' to the group

2. You have not checked the specific permission of the object that allows group members to mess with it (permission on the first edit tab - I don't remember how it is worded)

3. You have not given them direct permission (via the friends list) to edit your objects.

I'm pretty sure that is all that is required to prevent them messing with your stuff. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2016 at 5:29 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Either of you will be able to move objects that are shared with the group.  If you are on each other's Friends lists, you can also go to your profiles and give each other permission to edit your objects.  (Be careful about that one, though.  Friends can get into some nasty arguments about messing with each other's things. )

I know I'm necro'ing this, but this thread is the first thing that pops up when I google roommate permissions. I have a question about this last part -- what if I want them to have the ability to decorate, but I don't want them to be able to touch or move my stuff? My land is set to my group and under objects, all of the items on my land are set to group. Does that mean a roommate would be able to move them? Would I need to take everything down and re-rez it as owner, instead of group? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.