Many of my folders are empty,how do I get them back please

Myfanwy Acer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

12 hours ago, julietta Flux said:

i'm having the same problem and i have cleared the cache and restarted and tried everything else and still no dice

Clearing the main viewer cache is unlikely to fix anything... ANYTHING... ever... Clearing it generally makes most problems worse. So, clearing the cache is a last resort for when you KNOW something is wrong with the cache.

However, the viewer has many different 'caches'. There are various lists of things the viewer 'caches' (saves as a file). On launch it compares the local 'cached' lists to the master lists kept on the SL servers. Inventory is one of those lists. It is common to refer to that list as the inventory cache. It is not technologically precise to call it that. For inventory the thing we think of as a 'cache' is in the viewer memory space. But, on practical level referring to it as a cache makes explaining what needs to be done much to fix inventory problems simpler and easy to understand.

That said, there is an Inventory cache. It lists all your 'inventory' stuff. It is separate from your main cache and in a different folder. Each time the viewer starts, it is downloading a copy of the inventory list and comparing it to the local copy. Which is why a large flat inventory can cause a logon fail. So, deleting the inventory cache is not a big hit on performance.

My inventory cache is <3MB. My texture cache is 1.5GB and the object cache 36MB... So, the main cache is >1GB of stuff that has to redownload when you 'clear THE cache'. The inventory cache is nothing by comparison. The inventory cache is a single zip file. I do not know if it downloads via HTTP with error correction or via UDP without error correction. I do know that for some reason this single file does occasionally have problems and have to be deleted.

The main cache is literally tens of thousands of files downloaded via an error correcting protocol (HTTP). It is rare, very rare, for even one file to be corrupted. And that would probably not be noticeable and very unlikely to cause the type of problem most people clear cache to fix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.