Cost of Ownership

LauraTarnsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

What is "cost of ownership" for an object. How is it calculated?

The references you provided on land impact are very good ones, and I think my original question has to do with land impact and the two "accounting systems" for the impact of prims. However, I have seen (in my Firestorm viewer, and I can't remember where) an actual estimate in $L with the label "Cost of Ownership". I think I was pointing to an 8-prim object, and the number shown was L$110. I thought it was on the edit screen, near the prim count, but for the life of me I can't find it again, and no, it was not an object set for sale (LOL). I assumed it was a number that somehow showed a periodic cost of owning an object of that land impact, based on some cost of land estimate. It was this calculation that I was looking for.

I'll keep looking to find this again so that I can make my question more specific. In the meantime, thanks for the response!

2 answers to this question

Hi Laura,

There is no cost of ownership for objects in SL, other than their purchase price. I think you are referring to "Land Impact" (LI). This can be a tricky topic, as the calculation of LI for mesh objects and linksets containing a mix of mesh and standard prims can be counterintuitive and confusing.

Here's more to read...

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Calculating-land-impact/ta-p/974163

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Prims-Prim-Equivalent-Land-Impact-a-too-long-guide/m-p/1293579

If there's a particular situation you're concerned about, come back to your question and edit it (via "Options" over there on the right) to tell us more.

• Like 1

OH!  I think I know what you saw.

If you have hover tips turned on in the viewer, almost everything you put your mouse cursor on will produce some floating text.  What you saw, I think, was that someone had put a price on an object.  Whether it was actually set for sale or not, the floating text would have shown you the price that was set for that object.

This setting is in Preferences/User Interface/3D World, Hover Tips:  Show Hover Tips AND "on all objects" checked.  If "on land" is checked, your mouse cursor will show details about the land you're on, including its price if it for sale.

But neither of these actually use the words "cost of ownership"

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.