install

DMalkarov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hello. i am very frustrated. can somebody help me with the installation and setting up process?
i am pretty positive i meet system requirements. i can let you know what i have. but when i checked minimum system requrements from what i read i should be good.
i have checked on line for some kind of help. 
i dont know what to do here. 
okay. i clicked the download and install
i extracted the files
nothing happened, it just took me to the folder
so i tried installing through the terminal
but it told me that no such file or directory was found.
thats where i am stuck.
Okay so i am running ubuntu 16.04 LTS
A gigabyte ga-z170 hd3p
A radeon rx 460 oc 2gb
An i5 6500
The psu
And air cooling
The only thing i have done is made the mobo recognize the gpu

6 answers to this question

As Alwin said, hard to say without some more info.

But if you are on a Windows computer, look in the Program Files(x86) folder. There shold be a subfolder named SecondLifeViewer there and in that a program named SecondLifeViewer.exe. That's the one you want. If it's not there, uninstall and try again.

On a Mac all you should need to do is open the DMG file in your download folder and drag the Second Life Viewer icon to yur program folder or wherever you prefer to store it.

Edit: Oh you're talking Ubuntu. The official SL viewer doesn't support Linux anymore so you have to use a third party viewer like Firestorm.

• Like 1

Yes, Linux has a learning curve, but so does WIndows 10. After you get Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 x64) setup it is easier/faster than WIndows using SL.So here we go setting up the latest (fastest I have tested to date)   & this procedure works for all Linux viewers too:

Singularity Linux test build viewer Singularity 1 8 7 6915 x86 64 tar.xz   (bento compatible)

http://67.170.30.149/

The above download should be auto saved to your downloads folder, go to your "downloads" file click on it see the viewer tar.xz file? Now move your mouse pointer all way to the upper left side of your screen & click on "Edit"...click on "Preferences"...click on "Behavior"...select "run executable text files when they are opened"...close this window...go back to the viewer tar.xz file you downloaded....right click on it...click on "Properties"...click on "Permissions"...select "allow executing file as a program"...close this window...right click on Singularity viewer tar.xz file you downloaded & select "extract here"...it creates a folder for you...at this point I like to delete (send to Trash) the tar.xz by right clicking it & selecting send to trash...now all we have is the created folder... left click it twice...see the data sheet labled "singularity"...click on it and the viewer will open....all you'll need to do to re-open the viewer later after logging out is go to back to your "downloads" files see the created folder and click on it...click on the data sheet labeled "singularity" again. If anyone needs more help using this viewer seek the Singularity Viewer Group via SL they were extremely helpful for me!

That is a nice processor you have, BUT solely using SL Nvidia GPUs give better performance/less mesh issues than current AMD GPUs; however many AMD graphics card owners are having good luck with the Singularity viewer(s) I gave up approx. 1 year ago on stable Linux-AMD GPU drivers, but this might help you. I have NOT tested this driver:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx

Intel i5 CPUs are fast as for me I am awaiting AMD's release of the new Ryzen processors (rumored to be approx. 3/1/17), but I am not buying one til I see 3rd party tests/benchmarks to validate they are on par with Intel's current offerings. IF they are since I have not upgraded in years I plan on finally spending the bucks for one/new motherboard/DDR4 RAM

"I Love Simplicity"

okay. i did all of this. the only difference is the graphics card that i am using. i am using an Asus Radeon dual rx460. is that my problem? thank you for the help i will be much happier when i can get it to run and have a launcher on my desktop.

yes i am using linux.

yes i know its hard. but i consider it a learning curve.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.