everytime i try to download, it has a half black , half gray screen on ..help

paisleycrow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

At what point do you get this black and gray screen?  When you click the download button?  When you get to the point of installation? Or when you try to launch the viewer after you've downloaded and installed it?

If you are using Windows 7 when you click the download button (depending your how your Windows 7 is setup) you should see a message at the bottom of your screen asking you if you want to run or save the download.  If you see that then Windows is waiting for you to respond.  I can't think a reason why the screen would be black and gray but who knows why some things happen and others don't.  If you see that message then I suggest you choose "Save as" and download to your desktop.  That way you can scan the download with your anti-virus before you install it......and it gives a copy you can save in case you ever want to revert back to the viewer without having to search for an download the setup again.

I'm guessing right now because I really don't know what you  are experiencing.  To comment or add information to your question use the Options at the upper right hand corner of your post and "Edit".

Hello paisleycrow and welcome to SL Forums. I think that you mean that when you try to run the application you get a half black / half grey screen so you can't log in right? That's why many other residents reported the same or similar problems here when they downloaded the last version of Viewer 3. If so, try 2 things:

1. Uninstall the viewer using the windows control panel and download again the previous version (3.2.1). You can find it here. In this case set your software updates no to be installed automatically. In your log in screen you find it under Menu Me --> Preferences --> Setup --> Software updates --> Download and install updates manually.
  2. If this doesn't help, try to download a Third-Party Viewer. Many residents use Phoenix or Firestorm. The link here.
  • Like 1

This same exact thing is happening to me and it is interesting that I downloaded the new version the day before you did and have still had no success after three different downloads. I will try the instructions below. I hope you got your fixed?

Using older version: Second Life 1.23.5 (136262) Oct 14 2009 12:08:26 (Second Life Release) is working for me..

LoveAngel Lyre seems to have theI best answer. I wish I would have noted how to keep the auto update from happening, but at least I will not have to reload the old version a THIRD time. Sigh. Version 3 is bad for me. Version 2 good--YAY! Auto updates--bad! Thank you LoveAngel Lyre.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.