is sl good to play on pc computer or laptop computer ????

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

mulana wrote:

ahhh.........my question is........... is sl good to play on pc computer ???? or laptop computer ????

is sl good to play on pc computer = yes

or laptop computer = yes

your question isn't complete... :)

Most desktop computer, are better in handling SL, because you can add a better grahpic card, and they have better cooling.

Does this mean laptops are not possible, no, but most laptops will perform a lot worse than desktops.

There are good laptops, but those are in the high range... you have to think in order of 800/900 USD and far above at least.

A mid range desktop, with additional graphic card will be around 500 and up.

Of course you can go on lower range machines, but the quality of handling SL will go down too.

i am on a laptop too, but if your's is not strong in it's cooling, you have to lower the viewer specs.

Overheating is very bad for your laptop. It can stop working.

You can look in some rl stores, or www for a laptopstand with additional fans, those are giving some extra cooling to the laptop.

Be sure all openings at the sides and under side are totally free, so air can reach all parts.

Works great on my laptop:

CPU: Intel® Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (2494.21 MHz)
Memory: 24526 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 10586)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 980M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.0013.6472
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 364.72n 

An Asus, and far from the bottom of the line.

ummmm, here is my laptop computer

Second Life 4.0.6.315555 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 197.6, 12.6, 22.5 in Lawst Paradise located at sim10431.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.51.81:13022)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lawst%20Paradise/198/13/22
(global coordinates 209,350.0, 239,373.0, 22.5)
Second Life Server 16.07.06.317395
Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz (2261.06 MHz)
Memory: 3959 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 310M/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.5887
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Packets Lost: 12/3,289 (0.4%)

If  you don't want to upgrade your computer you might try hooking directly instead of wireless. That changed my speed by half so a big difference. 

You could also try a third party viewer with less bells and whistles that is based on the 1.23 viewer. Singularity is one, you can find others in the SL third party viewer list via the download page.

As someone mentioned turning down your graphics settings if you can would be a VERY good idea also. Your machine has Win 7 Service Pack ONE? which leads me to believe it is pretty old. I have a similar machine from long ago and it won't run SL except for maybe chatting and gives a "your computer is SO not usable for SL" message (my verbage) when I try and log on.

If you plan to spend a fair amount of time here, an upgrade is in order. :D

SabaothMastema wrote:

I have only ever accessed SL via a laptop on wifi. It's not a TERRIBLE experience. You just tend to become more resource wary.

You just can't compare like that though.  Totally depends on the hardware and other things being equal.  Just as there's no problem whatsoever using wifi as long as the user is not trying so far away from the access point that the data rate is low and drops out.

As others have stated, the disadvantages of laptops are the lack of easy upgrade and generally very poor disspation of heat.

Other than that, no issue really.

• 3 weeks later...

"Most desktop computer, are better in handling SL, because you can add a better grahpic card, and they have better cooling."

this is MOSTLY true, however laptop CPU's have ALWAYS been slower than desktops. They are designed for power efficiency at a cost to performance. A modern skylake i3 6100  desktop(the lowest end i3) out performs any haswell (previous gen) i5 and most i7s in a laptop in nearly all things.

People don't understand this. They assume i3 is low end and i7 is high end...this is true when you compare apples to apples but laptops to desktops is like comparing apples to walnuts...totally different things with totally different uses. 

Go compare any laptop CPU versus desktops on any of the large benchmark sites and it is so easy to see. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.