Windows 10 issues with multiple viewers, help please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Our desktop came preloaded with Win 10. I was using Firestorm for SL fine for about 3 weeks or so then bam! the other day when I tried to run Firestorm, it got stuck on "Initializing VFS". I had to open the Task Manager to end it. I tried to run FS (Firestorm) a few more times, with the same results. Therefore, I uninstalled FS, reinstalled it. Still wouldn't work. These things below are what I have done to try to fix this problem:

- Tried to run compatability shooter for FS, still got stuck on "Initializing VFS"

- Changed the comaptability mode to run for Windows 8, still did not help.

- Per the Firestorm Wiki, tried this resolution (but didn't help, still got stuck on Initializing VFS): See wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_install_crash under "Firestorm locks up on Initializing VFS"

- Installed Singularity Viewer, got stuck on "Connecting to Region". Tried to run compatability shooter for Singulairity, same thing .... got stuck on Connecting to Region.

- Installed BlackDragon Viewer... same issues that I had with FS... stuck on Initializing VFS.

I am not a very techie person with computers but I can understand "layman's terms". Can anyone give me some advice on what to do now to be able to use SL again? The Desktop is a Lenovo H50-55 90BG and has AMD Radeon R7 . Thanks so much in advance to anyone that is willing to try to help. :)

Hopefully Whirly Fizzle will be along soon but in the meantime:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/antivirus_whitelisting

If using Norton's, there was a recent update which was causing an issue, just not the issue you describe, but the timing seems coincidental if that is your anti-virus program:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/double-text-messages/m-p/3029105/highlight/true#M225158

Hi Nyll, thanks for the reply. I don't think Norton is on that pc, only Windows Defender but will recheck it. My husband hates Norton and Mcafee so they are most likely not being used. If the issue is Windows Defender (maybe there was a recent update to it), I hope there is a way to allow a SL viewer to run. I'm using the downstairs laptop for now but my privacy is upstairs on the desktop :matte-motes-big-grin:

Edited to add: I see a fix to whitelist FS on Windows Defender, will check that out.

Hi Whirly, thank you. At the moment, I'm attempting to try whitelisting FS with Windows Defender. If that does not solve it, then I'll be filing a Jira issue. I'll update here to tell what happens, so that others can see my feedback.

Well, it's an issue with Windows Defender and Firewall. I tried to follow the whitelist instruction on the FS Wiki but I was not able to follow the exact steps to whitelist, due to some categories not showing up on my pc. Weird, I know. So, what I did was turn off Windows Defender and the Firewall and I was able to load Firestorm fine. So, that is the issue. Now, I just have to figure out how to whitelist it, I'll check Windows site for whitelisting for Win 10.

Sorry, had no internet access for a few days. I use Windows 7 not Windows10 so unfortunately can't help with the latter. I never had any issues using any SL viewer with Defender but as Defender was causing other unrelated problems, I disabled it and instead installed the free version of Avira.

According to tests, Avira is far better anyway.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-free-antivirus_round-up_Page-5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.