Which is the best laptop /desktop to run SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I need to buy a new laptop or desktop to run SL . The new viewer totally crashes my system whenever I try to log in.

I've been looking the at mac pro but quite frankly havent a clue what to get. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

There are some similar threads availlable:

:|

If you don't like reading lots of posts just go to your local computer store and ask them to build a machine for you:

- needs the bestest available graphic card. No SLI!

- needs lots of RAM

- processor doesn't matter much

Having your dream machine built for you will also save you a lot of money you usually gotta pay for useless crap that comes with prefab computers.

Well not been very tech savvy i'm a bit concerned about having one built. So I've been looking at mac's. This is the one i'm interested in but im not sure if the graphics card will be ok. I need to run secondlife occassionally with shadows to take good pics. Please let me know what you think.

Apple iMac MC812B/A Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5, 2.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB with 21.5 Inch Monitor
Key Features
All-In-One    Yes

Bluetooth     Yes

Brand         Apple

Built-in ethernet connection     10/100/1000

CD/DVD/Blu-ray Drive     8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Computer Software Helpline     Free 90 day computer support

Dimensions     H45.1 x W52.8 x D18.85cm

Graphics card     ATI Radeon HD 6770M

Graphics card - video RAM     512MB

Guarantee         3 year guarantee included.

Hard drive         1TB

Home Server         No

Included         Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse

Eligible for International Delivery         No

Memory card slot         SD, SDXC

Model name / number         MC812B/A

Monitor         21.5 inch widescreen LED-backlit display

Operating system         Mac OS X Lion

Processor         2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

Processor Type         Intel Core i5

RAM         4GB

Screen resolution         1920 x 1080

Slimline         No

Stereo speakers         Built-in

Touch Screen         No

Tower         No

TV tuner card         No

USB ports         4x USB 2.0

Visible screen size (measured diagonally)         54.6cm

Built-in Webcam         Yes

Weight         9.3kg

Wireless networking         Airport Extreme 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1

Thank you.

For the price this ^^ is a very inferior machine when compared to the pricing for:

i7 processor

8 GB RAM

1 GB RAM GPU

750 - 1000 Watt Power Supply

Any other Mother Board

The MAC you list is already 1 or 2 years old with the technology incorporated.

You seem stuck on a MAC so I say do what you choose, but you are spending a lot more money than needed for a machine with outdated technology.  

Well not been very tech savvy i'm a bit concerned about having one built. So I've been looking at mac's.

-----------------------------------

2 errors in judgement (and 1 in grammar) in that short statement :matte-motes-nerdy:

I'm a woman, didn't know **bleep** about computers when I started SL, but we learn, we clue up, we think about the tools for our little virttual hobby. Why are you concerned about having a machine built for you? I didn't advice you on building it yourself, did I? The guys at the hardware store know their **bleep**, so they won't build you something that doesn't work. Just ask them what they think is best and let them give you a quote. They will telll you what they think is best and why. Compare it with what you get from brand manufacturers (particularly Apple) and you'll see that you indeed save some money respectively get something better for the same money. To have it built shouldn't cost you more than, say, 20 €/25 US$. And you'll know you have all the parts carefullly assembled by knowingly hands, not some oppressed chinese/taiwanese sweat shop worker. You'll end up with a wondrful machine inside and out since you chose a box that you like, not something Apple or Acer or Dell or HP think looks flashy.

And the plural of mac is macs not mac's. :matte-motes-evil:

BTW, the Mac in your description looks a bit weakish, on the lower end for use in a demanding realm like SL.

i5 proci is nice, 4 GB RAM isn't that great. (go for 8 GB 1333). Can't say much about the graphics card, is prolly on the lower end of the specs as well. Your local computer shop will sell you something much better for much less money. And you don't need to dabble with that stupid MacOS. Why anybody does it is beyond me anyway. You get Linux Ubuntu or Mint for free ... and they are almost the same as MacOS. If you're not up to "learning" a new OS let your computer guys sell you a Win7/64 bit, which you will get as a PC builder version ... and save some dough again.

Garey. Garey, Garey, Garey ... what are you, man or mouse?

I just had a new PC built, while not specifically for SL, it does run SL like a charm, with everything turned up.

i5 2500 3.3Ghz

8GB 1333 RAM

128GB SSD System Drive, 1TB HDD data drive

EVGA GTX 680 Graphics Card

Coming from the craptop I was using, this has been a quasi religious experience.

most storebuy laptops today will run SL okish out the box

is just that some of the more advanced rendering stuff wont work very well on the cheaper ones. is same Mac or PC

+

if you want a Mac just bc you want a Mac then is ok to be like that

just buy the best one you can afford. can do your head in sometimes stressing about this kinda thing

Hi Garey. I run SL from my ASUS G74SX gaming Laptop. It runs SL very well on Ultra without shadows  (anywhere from 45 - 100FPS depending on where I am in SL)

I even get decent performance on Ultra with Deferred Rendering (shadows) + Ambient Occlusion on ( any where from 20-50FPS)

Here are my laptop specs:

G74Sx - XT1
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Nvidia GTX 560M 3gig
Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU
12GB RAM

The cooling system is awesome on this laptop as well - one of the best I've seen in my opinion, So overheating will never be an issue with this notebook. I purchased mine a couple months back from tigerdirect. They're sold on amazon, at best buy, exoticpc, etc.

ASUS released their newer versions of my laptop a couple weeks ago (The G75 and G55) that come equipped with intel's newest generation processors, and even better graphics cards . If you really want a laptop, I recommend going with one of ASUS's G series notebooks. You can check them out at this link, along with other versions of the G series

The laptop looks great but is this really the best gamers laptop. Idealy I would prefer to have a laptop rather than desktop. But I heard that there arent any out there that will run sl effectively in ultra. Is the asus really the best laptop for the job or are there better models available that i should be looking at. My budget is between 500-1000gbp.

garey Solo wrote:

The laptop looks great but is this really the best gamers laptop. Idealy I would prefer to have a laptop rather than desktop. But I heard that there arent any out there that will run sl effectively in ultra. Is the asus really the best laptop for the job or are there better models available that i should be looking at. My budget is between 500-1000gbp.

Oh, I promise you that this laptop will run SL "effectively". These laptops can play games demanding games like Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 at high settings flawlessly. I had another laptop before I bought this one (an HP DV8T to be specific), and it definitely ran SL for me without problems (except with shadows) and it wasn't even considered a gaming laptop. In my opinion, ASUS is one of the best companies out there when it comes to gaming. The G series might not be "THE BEST" gaming laptop out there, but it's definitely one of the best when it comes to gaming.

I suggest you log into SL on your current system, and check out your FPS with shadows and without on ultra/high, and compare them to the ones I provided. The higher the FPS, the smoother your SL feels and performs. I consider myself a very tech savvy kind of person, and a performance guy. I wouldn't recommend you something I wouldn't get myself.

But like I said, go check your FPS at those settings and compare them to the ones I provided. As far as your budget, I got my G74 from tigerdirect for about $1300 USD which is about 815gbp (I looked up gbp and I saw it meant British pounds)

• 4 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.