Weird artifacting with the AMD RX 480

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just got an RX 480 recently and while WoW is much nicer getting off Intel onboard, I was left dissapointed with my SL experience. Chances are this is driver related, but it's odd how it's only SL that's giving me a problem. Whenever I turn on advanced lighting model, there is this wierd line of wut going down my screen. While I can be content with advanced lighting model off, it kind of defeats the purpose of a graphical upgrade.

Below is how it looks on my end with and without advanced lighting model on. (screenshot is of Firestorm, but other viewers give the same result):

Anyone else encounter this issue that also has an AMD card or has an idea of a fix?

Oh, wow. This is exactly the problem I have and it seems I'm not alone. I've reached out to Newegg and am trying to get an RMA done to return the card for a refund. I wanted to love this upgrade, but spending a $50 mark-up [$304 total] on an upgrade that's worst than onboard Intel graphics for SL isn't acceptable--especially if this problem has been around since 2015.

It's a known bug specific to the AMD R series cards.

Bug reports:

LL viewer: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-20057

Firestorm viewer:  http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-16829

Be sure to read through the comment section on the above Firestorm JIRA issue. There are some workarounds given here you can use for now until the bug is fixed.

tl/dr: Whether you will suffer from the bug if you have an AMD R series card depends on your screen size.

Artifacting can also be caused by;

1) Drivers that need to be updated

2) Overheating issues (either the card itself, or the case or other components like the CPU )

You can use GPU-Z to monitor your graphics card temperature, and CPU-Z for the cpu.

3) An old and failing (possibly wiggly) HDMI cable

4) Overtaxed, or old Power Supply Unit (especially if you noticed this after a component addition/upgrade)

Even if it's none of the above and just  an AMD thing, its always a good habit to rule out common causes before throwing more money at something.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.