Web Site redesign may have broken Opera browser

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They've done work on the web site.

The look of this particular part hasn't changed, except that the Opera Browser is showing everything: every word of every pop-up and drop-down, with no attempt at formatting.

I expect that none of us like changing web browser. We set them up to match our proferences. Although Opera does seem to be getting a little bit unusual.

I am not holding out much hope for improvement. The Shopping drop-down on the Dashboard still references XStreetSL for one option.

I don't know what it's like to work at LL, but I know of other SL-related groups that seem to want to imitate them, at a superficial level: things like a dependence on a customer-accessible JIRA.

“The best you can be is a perfect imitation of those who came before you.”

On what I have seen over the years, LL feels uncreative and stagnant. Maybe it's a sustained communications failure, but it keeps happening. Sure, some people will be working on Project Sansar, but it's feeling a bit late for people to still not be talking about it.

This web problem, Opera works fine everywhere else I see. OK, if you want the latest streaming video, you have to use something else, but this web page isn't streaming video. Is testing that difficult?

If the Lindens can't cope with testing different web browsers, is Project Sansar going to be worth bothering with? They're not really doing anything to excite me.

Yikes, make sure you are logged into secondlife.com, and not another site that may have phished you.

On a brand new install of Opera, secondlife.com and the marketplace are working fine with no errors, on my end.

(installed it today to test for you).

Have a nice day.

arabellajones wrote:

On what I have seen over the years, LL feels uncreative and stagnant. Maybe it's a sustained communications failure, but it keeps happening. Sure, some people will be working on Project Sansar, but it's feeling a bit late for people to still not be talking about it.

If the Lindens can't cope with testing different web browsers, is Project Sansar going to be worth bothering with? They're not really doing anything to excite me.

I'm concerned about Sansar's success. The trend is that VR will flop once again, for the usual reasons. Plenty of articles about it showing perhaps a spike in sales this Christmas, and then abandonment because of the typical issues that Killed VR, more of a gimmick like 3D tvs.

Meanwhile, what works (SEcond Life) may be being left to the wayside, which would be a huge mistake. Plenty of things to do to improve SL and get users in long before Sansar will replace it.

Good VR or as a poster stated "When they have holodecks like Star Trek, then maybe I might care" is still years away.

Thanks for the warning, and trying things out. Yeah, that is a possibility.

Everything is working today, no problems.

It may have been something very simple, such as a mistyped filename that somebody at Linden Lab fixed, but they're so laconic that they make the Spartens look garrulous. If they did fix something, we'll never know.

And the same for Project Sansar. Though if some reports are accurate, that it depends on the latest VR headsets, I doubt I shall ever be able to use it. The hardware will be way beyond my budget and getting a sufficiently fast response from a server in the USA will require an internet that breaks the laws of physics.

I thought people who were talking about a 40ms ping time were talking about the reaction time of the servers, and that's a target they can do something about. But I have also seen that figure used as the upper limit for total round-trip time, with huge frame rates (which imply huge bandwidth). Thought it's possible that people are confused of the two different measurements.

Worst case: VR is going to be like 3DTV back in 2012-13, something that sells a lot of hardware, but flops for lack of content. And if that happens, how much have LL gambled on it? Can they afford to lose?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.