Second Life is Messing with Nvidia's Drivers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So.. i've been wondering why my GPU is constantly running in Low 3D Performance Mode (1001Mhz) when Idling (on a 60Hz single Monitor, usually it's caused by two Monitors or more, or 120/144hz).. and then i stumbled upon an older Thread where somebody has the exact same issue.. i've been Googling/troubleshooting for days to find out what it could be.. and guess what? it's Second Life itself. I kept reinstalling GPU Drivers like mad, barely got any real sleep.. just to find out this https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer-release/commits/6a2054a7cf5b83220f6f0342af51b3d0d0ae25cd in this Thread https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Second-Life-Tech/Issue-with-SL-taking-over-my-Driver/td-p/2878074 

Second Life forces the Global Profile to run at High Performance every time i open it.. only a restart and changing to power saving via Control Panel/Nvidia Inspector resets that.. and it comes back when SL runs again.. why? i don't want this to mess with my Computer. I have a 4930k i7 CPU, GTX Titan X EVGA, 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz Corsair Dominator GT Ram.. Second Life runs already like garbage especially with Dynamic Shadows enabled (about 20-30 fps), without around 30-40 fps if i get lucky.. and now this GPU Driver interference aswell.. is there anything.. to disable that? 

You did read my Specs right? including the $1000 GPU Titan X.. the best GPU on Earth right now can't even get a stable 60 Fps in a years old "Game".. (Paid less than a Custom 980Ti costs, and got better performance with more Vram) But that doesn't matter as SL runs like crap thanks to an old Open GL Renderer instead of a more modern Direct X one..  but putting that aside.. is that everything? quite a few Thread Views but nobody with a solution to this? 

xXCatherineCatXx wrote:

..  but putting that aside.. is that everything? quite a few Thread Views but nobody with a solution to this? 

Week Ends can be slow, sometimes very slow on the Forums.  

I'm only here because the weather canceled my RL plans this afternoon.

(I had glanced at your post but it was outside my area of expertise).

Oh well, didn't thought of that. To explain it a bit easier for those who probably don't know that much about what's happening.. So. There's a global profile for the Graphicscard inside the Control Panel of Nvidia.. those settings apply to every Program that is running.. and there are Program Specific Profiles aswell. Now when i install Second Life (Vanilla or Firestorm), the Global Profile gets modified without any permission needed.. forcing the Graphicscard to run at Maximum Performance, in this case it forces my GPU to run at a low Power 3D mode, which is about 1001Mhz (While gaming it runs at 1420Mhz usually) while doing absolutely nothing on my Desktop.. also heating up the Graphicscard for no reason. Normally my Titan X for example does run at 135Mhz idle.. the same issue was with my slightly older GTX 780Ti's SLI.. i thought first it's the Driver (knowing Nvidia puts out crappy drivers the past 4-5 Months with TDR Crashing).. but i now found out the culprit is Second Life.. just from being installed causes this problem.. i deinstalled it and Tada~, no more overheating with low power 3D Clocks at 1001Mhz. I did post a link in my Original Post that shows Second Life does somehow force that into the Global Profile which can only be reset by changing it back manually and restarting.. but as soon as i open Second Life it messed up again. I hope i could somewhat explain it and make it more understandable.

The next release of Firestorm will no longer have this behaviour - see http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-16667

If you would like to try a nightly build of Firestorm containing that fix, leave me a comment on the above JIRA issue and I'll send you the installer. Let me know if you want the 32 bit or the 64bit build.

Alternatively, apply to be a Firestorm beta tester & you will have access to the nightly builds.

Yes, I did read your specs, and frankly for playing SL you could have saved a ton of money and gotten similar performace.

I find I have no problem controlling my driver using the NVidia control panel in NVidia Experience. I have double checked by uninstalling both Firestorm and the latest SL viewer and reinstalling both; neither installation changed my global setting (adaptive) nor my viewer specific settings (both set to maximum performance in 3D mode).

That said I'd love to run Whirly's nightlies if I had a chance.

Hi guys,

I have a new mac, and had problems watching videos on the sl tv screens, it was all black when I clicked it but had audio

I saw some people recommend downgrading adobe flashplayer to 11.7.  or lower, and someone else recommended  10

I found an 11.7.200 or something for mac, and installed it.

Video works now on general stuff, but it does lag and stutter quite a bit, sometimes even like a powerpoint slideshow

But worse is that youtube videos dont show or work for me anymore, whereas before I at least got audio. I get this message -

"An error occurred. Please try again later. Learn more."

Can anyone help advise me what to do regarding this? The Youtube, and if possible the stuttering for other non youtube vids

Thanks!!

• 2 months later...

xXCatherineCatXx is right:,she wrote> "Second Life forces the Global Profile to run at High Performance every time i open it.."

I just built a new desktop pc, fast intel i5cpu and a dedicated GPU that isn't new but is still ok Geforce GTX 650Ti Boost (2gig video ram). I kept getting crash error, OpenGL driver unable to recover from kernel exception, error code3... Asked FS support group, MS Windows 10 support group, all saying try older drivers. I did, still crashed.. Doing a search on that error, I came across a forum post where guy reduced his GPU settings to slower clock and performance, and it worked he could play his games again. So I tried using EVGA Precision X16 (its the brand of GPU i have) to make settings changes. The only change I made was reduce frame rate to FPS 36. That did it no more crashes.

however

After running almost 2 hours in SL I notice after I logged my video card was still running at near full speed and it was using higher cpu clock speed. In other words its exactly what xXCatherineCatXx was describing. SL altered the global profile. and thus wouldn't reduce.. I tried using precision x16 to go back to default setting, NO joy, I finally used Xvidia's Control Panel.. I 1st checked the global settings, I had screen shot of the settings, NOTHING showed changed, so I tried reset to original default, and sure enough that did it. My clock speed returned to idol as well as GPU temperatures dropped from 45c to 25c.

What this is saying is SL is changing the GPU global settings but you can't even see those changes.. The only way I knew was by the sound of graphics card running almsot full bore, and the PrecisioinX 16 display showing the GPU temperature, cpu clock speed. I will hesitate to make any comments regarding the obvious concerning LL and this known issue.

BTW, I am running the latest version of FS 4.7.5 (47975), "Whirly Fizzle" stated : "The next release of Firestorm will no longer have this behaviour", sadly the problem is NOT fixed.

Hmm it should be fixed on Firestorm 4.7.5.

Did you install & run any other V3 based viewers or older Firestorm versions on that system? If so, then the you will still have the same problem with the global Nvidia profile.

JIRA issues for reference:

FIRE-14626 - Firestorm should add itself to the nVidia Program settings list on installation

FIRE-16667 - Running Firestorm 4.7.1.45325 causes issues with nvidia drivers

BUG-9906 - Second Life messing up NVIDIA drivers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.