SL viewer doesn´t work on windows 10, but Singularity does

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I installed Windows 10, and both Firestorm and SL viewer does not work, graphics video card stop working (windows 10 makes it stop).

But Singularity does work O.o  - I can log in in SL with it.

I updated to the last drivers - I have an ATI Radeon HD 5450 - is there a configuration I must use, or dll or anything I am missing? I am planning to go back to windows 7 if nothing else works.

I hope someone out there can help me

thanks! :)

I tested two viewers with Windows 10 Pro:

• Firestorm viewer
• Second Life viewer

Both viewers work all right, no problems whatsoever.

Interestingly Second Life viewer reports:

Second Life 3.8.0 (302622) Jun 12 2015 15:49:55 (Second Life Release)
CPU: Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3411.14 MHz)
Memory: 8169 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit  (Build 9200) compatibility mode. real ver: 10.0 (Build 10011)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.0013.5362

(I did not turn any compatibility mode on.)

Firestorm viewer reports:

Firestorm 4.7.1 (45325) Apr 30 2015 19:22:46 (Firestorm-Betax64)
CPU: Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3411.12 MHz)
Memory: 8169 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit  (Build 10011)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.0013.5362

The graphics driver is the one what Windows setup installed. I checked NVidia's site would there be a newer one there. No, there was exactly the same version what Windows installed, so I didn't touch the driver.

I can confirm Coby's observation. Tried a few viewers and the LL Viewer and Kokua (which is close to LL's) use the compatibility mode. The others don't.

Another thing I noticed with win10 is that it took every little setting for network and system from win8.1 to win10. (except default apps) So if someone has a messed up system I have my doubts that the upgrade will repair anything.

• 4 months later...

i had installed Singularity on my windows 10 and i used to play it all the time on windows 7 and now it wont work.. it is saying, " Singularity Viewer is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them. If you continue to receive this message, contact second life support portal."

i did that and they didnt help me at all.. they just said oh, windows 10 doesnt support second life yet.. but my ex's laptop had windows 10 and can play in it just fine.. so i know it wasnt right!

• 2 months later...

i got an intel card and every time i try to run either the SL viewer or Firestorm it tells me that it can not run cause its invalid, drivers are not updated or compatible. and its jsut shuts down what can i do it worked perfect in win 7 i am really regretting updating and would like some help i heard that if you downgrade you need to do it oldschool and prety much make a back up of all the files you want to save and  format the disk ones more, i dont want to do that if there is a way to  save this pls let me know.

you don't give a lot information about your system in your post.

please enter a little more, and in special whát intel graphics, i really doubt it's a card as you say, but will be most likely a chip on the MB

or... put your graphic details in google and search for compability with W10, that might also give some answers.

It is perfectly possible, with older machines, the graphics were usable for W7, but not for SL in W10

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having problems getting ANY sl viewer to work on my windows 10.... used to work great on windows 7.   i have updated graphics drivers, but i still recieve the error that my drivers arent up to date.    here is my laptop specifications

Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit

RAM 4.0 GB

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz

cpu 2.3 GHz

That's an old laptop with arguably one of the worst graphics chipets for SL.

You're unlikely to see good ongoing support for Windows 10. One of my devices is similar to that and I was able to use an older Windows driver which worked but that then compromised other things.

You're probably better off going back to whatever you had before.

• 1 month later...

Coldpaw Silverfall wrote:

i got an intel card and every time i try to run either the SL viewer or Firestorm it tells me that it can not run cause its invalid, drivers are not updated or compatible. and its jsut shuts down what can i do it worked perfect in win 7 i am really regretting updating and would like some help i heard that if you downgrade you need to do it oldschool and prety much make a back up of all the files you want to save and  format the disk ones more, i dont want to do that if there is a way to  save this pls let me know.

It  can work in win 10 but need to install the win7/8 video drivers, and revert all 3d settings to default, stock SL and Cool VL works flawless in this way, Firestorm needs to download the intel patch file (only for 32 bits) in the same website. I couldn't make other viewers work, some of the depreciate both intel and amd gpus forcing to use Nvidia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.