Running Out Of Texture Memory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am also having this issue and has been troublesome for months.  Just in the past couple of weeks the problem has developed a rather irritating and fascinating twist.  After the message appears "# textures discarded due to insufficient memory 1 or 2 or 4 or 6" I either crash or get a flashing texture show on some items in my viewing range.  Random textures flash on mostly larger thinner prims.  I have tried all the above suggestions with no results.

I use a iMac   Processor Name:Intel Core i5 Processor Speed:2.66 GHz Number Of Processors:1 Total Number Of Cores: L2 Cache (per core):256 KB L3 Cache:8 MB ,Memory:8 GB

graphics::ATI Radeon HD 4850

Come on Lindens or someone.. There must be some sort of fix for this!  Please?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a Macbook Pro, same issues with the texture dump and then crashing. Seems to be worse lately.

I believe this actually fried my motherboard. It overheated and I had to replace it. I tried the LL viewer the other day and it worked great. I far prefer Firestorm, but I guess I'll have to switch until someone figures this out. It's not worth another motherboard and I don't have the tech knowledge to figure it out.

I only just recently started to get this message, ever since updating to the 4.4.2 version.  It is extremely aggervating. Nothing seems to help. It's getting so bad that I can't even go anywhere without crashing multiple times.  Before this, I hardly had issues... my computer and connection are both very good.  I've tried the things listed in this thread and others, but they do not help at all.

I'm getting really frustrated with this problem. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sparrow Tuqiri wrote:

Has there been any new information re:  this issue running out of texture memory.  It is still an ongoing problem for me and my Mac.  Any update would be appreciated.

The most current information I know on this issue is here:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_textures_discarded

That Wiki cites:

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-1996

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2547

While he does not use this term, Bao Linden's categorization of this problem as "expected behavior" is simply ludicrous.

For reference, this is not a Firestorm problem per se, it is inherited from the official viewer.  The difference is that people using the official viewer don't know that it is the cause of their crashes because the official viewer is not set to display the error message.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After a long time of testing it comes out that for me none of the above tunings solved the problem. Each time the PC RAM used by Firefox or regular SL Viewer reaches a value of about 1,6 GB, crash happens. What is strange is that I use an NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti with 2 GB of VRAM that seems not used as it should. This amount of 1,6 GB of RAM usage is reached when many textures or many mesh clothes of avs are viewed. That's why it happens easily in a crowdy place if you zoom on many avs.

I only have "out of texture memory" problem with firestorm, not with actual Second Life Viewer. I have ATI HD 4670, Win XP 32 Bit, Intel Dual Core CPU, latest DirectX 9c (:-?), newest drivers. It is maybe something wrong with cache management in programme code of firestorm :).

Second Life Viewer is great. It hasn't so detailed Radar like Firestorm and they see you when you cam at them :P. lol. I use it for hours without crash. When I use Firestorm I crash after a few minutes.

Manfred Hinterland wrote:

I only have "out of texture memory" problem with firestorm, not with actual Second Life Viewer. I have ATI HD 4670, Win XP 32 Bit, Intel Dual Core CPU, latest DirectX 9c (:-?), newest drivers. It is maybe something wrong with cache management in programme code of firestorm
:)

Second Life Viewer is great. It hasn't so detailed Radar like Firestorm and they see you when you cam at them
:P
. lol. I use it for hours without crash. When I use Firestorm I crash after a few minutes.

I wish someone could really make rhyme or reason out of this.  Because I have this problem I follow the issue closely.  For me it has not mattered which Viewer I use and I have read about it happening across the board.  Based on the comments in the SL JIRA the problem is in the SL Viewer.  It could be that for some people something about Firestorm exacerbates it.

The person who solves it will probably have the unending gratitude of many, many people.

I fully agree with you, for me the problem is the same with Firestorm and with the official SL viewer. The only difference is that Firestorm is displaying a message about the number of textures discarded, which is not done by the SL viewer, and that difference can mislead the users. For me, the only rational is that a crash comes when the used quantity of RAM reaches 1,6 GB, whatever the viewer

I tried everything in these post to get this fixed and while it may work for some it didnt work for me. Although the deleting of the appdata folder diff. got textures loading faster, thanks Marcus.

Me and my wife have a laptop and a desktop. For various reasons we fight over the desktop. (pulling 50+fps between high and ultra with no advance lighting <will look into that later because it sure makes things pretty) and the laptop barely does 7-10.

Laptop never has this problem and looks like horrible compared to the desktop and I kept getting this error then a crash on the desktop for quite awhile. I finally decided to dive in and try to fix it. By reading online I did find it affects more high end systems than low end systems which makes since. Less details equals less memory needed. My Solution for the moment and not a fix however is to lower my LOD(lever of detail) "objects and sculpts LOD" to 2.  It pretty much defaults to this on every setting except ultra. Since then, not one single crash but, be warned, this is not a fix. You will notice textures not loading here and there but it doesnt bother me and on the plus though, my cpu is cooler with less usage and fps stay high in highly detailed areas (and i dont mean a like a forest, i mean like a place where 20+ cars are parked at one time with insanity amounts of detail).  

I think the solution is finally here and easy. Just set the LOD parameter to 2 instead of 3, I can stay in Ultra (I have a high-end PC). The result is immediate : in the same environments the RAM used reaches a max of 1,2 GO instead of 1,6 GO. No discarded texture and no crash any more.

Thanks to all for the suggestions

AXLE Munro wrote:

I think the solution is finally here and easy. Just set the LOD parameter to 2 instead of 3, I can stay in Ultra (I have a high-end PC). The result is immediate : in the same environments the RAM used reaches a max of 1,2 GO instead of 1,6 GO. No discarded texture and no crash any more.

Thanks to all for the suggestions

glad that is working for you

I guess for usually viewer or programs who even crash due to insufficient texture memory, the program itself reaches a stack overflow. That is simply spoken a bad job from the programmers of the viewer. I'm playing sl on a core I7 2.8 quadcore with an Ati HD7970m 2GB & 16GB of DDR3 1600 dim. Really, this computer can handle even games in full HD as metro: last night, battlefield 4 or Crysis 3. 512MB of max texture allocation isnt enough for todays graphics cards. The developers should force an update of their old code. 1280 stream processors basic graphics as those of sl.

Michelle Mananguinne wrote:

it should meant that 1280 stream processors can handle simple graphics as those of sl, compared to the games i listed for comparison.

SL has anything but simple graphics.It has been said a million times, but I'll repeat it. Due to very unoptimised user created items with far too many (and far too big) textures, the texture load created by SL exceeds the load of those better looking games by a mile.

Setting the RenderVolumeLODFactor to 3 or 4 instead of 2 (which is the highest possible, without touching the debug settings, in the standard SL viewer) makes this load even higher (and the network/sim load too).

I'm pretty much clueless on how the viewers handle memory and I'm sure it can be improved, but allowing something in SL usually means creators and end users take that as an invitation to make full (mis)use of it. So allowing more texture memory might result in even more textures used in creations.

Your graphics card might have 2GB, mine has as well, so usually that means half of it is free when running SL. That doesn't mean others have this much. A GTX550 for example, which is probably more than the average user has, only has 1GB.

I'm pretty much clueless on how the viewers handle memory and I'm sure it can be improved' date=' but allowing something in SL usually means creators and end users take that as an invitation to make full (mis)use of it. So allowing more texture memory might result in even more textures used in creations.[/quote']

You are not alone with this supposition, however, but so much i do understand now from the operating systems, that in fact the required texture memory size should be automatically set by the game according to size of the dedicated graphics memory.

On mainboards with built-in graphics card or cheap notebooks without dedicated, physically available graphics card becomes the "game" again more demandingly. Or simply should be with the minimum requirements so high, that such devices at all are not supported.

The other problem is that Windows can not properly administer total memory of more than 3 GB. If I run, however, the Windows-viewer under linux 64 bit with wine, the memory consumption goes up to 864 MB and remains there stable, while Windows regularly produces a memory overflow.

I think the main source of all problems is the architecture of Windows itself, who was and is an incomplete botch-up, where the krux is the whole texture files will be "stored" on disc instead in the ram as on linux. Then these regular crashes would stop.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.