Running Out Of Texture Memory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dancing at a crowded club, 50 to 60 Ava's present.  It was a formal event so everyone was dressed in their finest.

A few seconds before crashing I noticed a line at the bottom of my Viewer about running out of texture memory.  (Was not able to grab a screen shot).

Any comments, thoughts, etc appreciated.

Thanks.

System Specs:

Firestorm 4.3.1 (31155) Dec  2 2012 00:45:37 (Firestorm-Release) with Havok support
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Processor model unknown (3000.15 MHz)   (is an AMD Athlon II)
Memory: 3328 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!  (Card has 1GB Memory)

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.0697
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

RestrainedLove API: RLV v2.7.0 / RLVa v1.4.7a
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0d zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Hybrid
Viewer Skin: metaharper (cool_ocean)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 128  (was turned down to 64 at the time)
Bandwidth: 1050
LOD factor: 2
Built with MSVC version 1600

I have  a 10MB Connection and Ping Test is always good or very good.

/me wonders how many others crashed around the same time or close to the same time you did... Sometimes a resident can throw on too many items with large textures that can run it up there... I would imagine it is the cause of a lot of crashing viewer side..

Your card should be discarding unused textures to maintain memory " you would think "  But a formal event like that can really load up a lot of textures on a viewer. Setting an avatar limit will probably help like suggestaed above. "Possible graphics griefer as well "

I wonder how much texture memory usage is going to increase when second life materials gets released... instead of 1 texture. There will be many lol 3 to 5?  Time for everyone to upgrade to a 2 gig vid card    " minimum "  lol

My apologies for not getting back to this sooner.  Sometimes First Life just doesn't want to go away.

I really wish I'd got a screen shot.....I'd never seen an error message scroll like this.....just very small print on the lower left of my viewer screen.  It wasn't in a pop up or the chat window.   I almost missed it and would have if not for a toast.

I only noticed one other person having crash problems but I didn't get to speak with them.

I had just decided to move after being in the same spot for around 45 minutes because I was starting to get crowded by a few other people.  I have a vague memory now (can't swear to it) of someone in a very large gown coming into my view as I moved.

My max Avatars was (is) set to 12.  I don't change this. 

I have HTTP textures disabled.  They are just plain sucky for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dell Inspiron 15r SE 7520, 3.1ghz i5,16GB,FULL HD, BluRay, AMD 7730 2GB GRAPHICS. Running with win 8 64 bit.   Just got this laptop.. having all sorts of issues..  same error message

# textures discarded due to insufficent memory 1

and also getting this one....   newview/llappviewer.cpp(1633):LLAppviewer::mainLoop: bad memory allocation in LLappviewer:mainLoop. 

Im using firestorm 4.3   any help would be greatly appreciated.  Did alot of different things with my settings and none seem to help.  

• 2 months later...

This error has been happening to me for over a year. I'm now on the latest Firestorm viewer 4.4.0 and it is still happening. 

I thought it was related to the amount of memory available to my video card, so I'd shut down my multiple windows and throw out everything unnecessary in my system tray and it was still happening. I had what I thought was a good video card (Geforce GTS 250) with lots of memory. I replaced the card with a new one - a Geforce GTX 660Ti. I'm still getting the "textures discarded" error. Also, SL won't run with the latest Geforce driver. I have to roll it back in order to get SL to load (FS or the Linden Lab viewer). 

Jo Yardley wrote:

Firestorm support said;

Prefs > Graphics > Hardware, try lowering your Viewer Texture Memory Buffer to about 80% of its current value

Trying it now.

i got that advise too.  so far so good but haven't hit any busy clubs yet wher it seems to be the most trouble.

I've had that message a couple of times too, Perrie.  What I do (and it solves it every time) is to go in and delete the texture cache folder in Users > [Your computer user name] > AppData > Local > Firestorm.  I can tell when that folder is getting full when "Loading Texture Cache..." stays up for a while when I'm starting Firestorm.  It's always happened to me in crowded clubs as well.  That folder is huge, by the way.  I've seen it up over 100,000 textures!  Delete it.  Problem goes away immediately.  

Because the folder contains so many items, it takes the system a little while to get it deleted.  Go get some coffee.  Do something else for a while and then come back to your computer.  Restart your viewer, log on, and you should be fine.  

Let me know if lowering your texture memory buffer works for you.

One last note...when I've deleted that folder, textures load a lot faster for me.  :)

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

One last note...when I've deleted that folder, textures load a lot faster for me.  
:)

I've observed this too, when I load a brand new install of a viewer, my textures seem to load rather efficiently, but after a while things slow down. In theory, it shouldn't work this way and I'm not sure why it does, unless it's due to the sheer volume of texture you pick up when out and about, which as you point out, can be damn large.

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

I've had that message a couple of times too, Perrie.  What I do (and it solves it every time) is to go in and delete the texture cache folder in Users > [Your computer user name] > AppData > Local > Firestorm.  I can tell when that folder is getting full when "Loading Texture Cache..." stays up for a while when I'm starting Firestorm.  It's always happened to me in crowded clubs as well.  That folder is huge, by the way.  I've seen it up over 100,000 textures!  Delete it.  Problem goes away immediately.  

Because the folder contains so many items, it takes the system a little while to get it deleted.  Go get some coffee.  Do something else for a while and then come back to your computer.  Restart your viewer, log on, and you should be fine.  

Let me know if lowering your texture memory buffer works for you.

One last note...when I've deleted that folder, textures load a lot faster for me.  
:)

Lowering the memory did not fix.

Again, I'm in this a little bit over my head so someone can correct me here.

As I understand it, this memory acts like RAM.  What was said to me by FS support is that Windoze was not releasing memory when it was set to the max 500mb, hence running out.  If I recall correctly from other threads this max is set in the official viewer also because their are other functions that need graphics RAM.  So the question would be 'why is windoze not releasing memory?'

Also, doesn't clearing cache have the same effect as deleting the texture folder?  In addition, even if it is 'huge,' it shouldn't be loading all the saved textures to graphics RAM.  Just what is needed for the scene you are viewing?

I'm just trying to get to a solution here.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this problem for almost a year and I tried what you said... FINALLY my problem went away. I was crashing a dozen times a day and I only crashed once since and I believe it was for other reasons other the the texture cache.

Thanks for your post!

• 1 month later...

Glad to see others have had this issue as well cus it is making me so frustrated.  I keep playing with settings, trying everything: clean installs, texture cache clearing, and it just never ends.  That dreaded message the second you go somewhere.  It started with me with the Firestorm 4.4 release and was never a problem before.  I use a 10-month old uber happy mac with everything - but still.  Just can't figure out what settings.  I tried the unchecking the http thing and that helped a little but not much.  Funny thing is it is fine on the other viewers but I need Firestorm as I do photos and it is soo much better.  Uggh, oh wells.  Help?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Clearing the texture cache did not work for me. I think I started to get this problem after installation of Firestorm 4.4.0 or 4.4.2. It happens in Sims using a lot of RAM (memory). Lowering drastically the draw distance works, it reduces the memory usage and the message # textures discarded (...) is not coming any more. The reason is probably that less textures have to be loaded into RAM in that case, preventing the overflow. Anyway, this problem was not happening before and something has to be done in Firestorm (or Linden code). It sucks to be obliged to lower the performance at such extent.

Please continue to post your observations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.