New/refurbished computer graphics card

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just recently got a new/refurbished computer with windows 10. I just downladed SL and tried to run it but it comes up with my graphics card/drivers are out of date or didn't install properly. Anone reccomend a way around it or perhaps computer settings?

• Administrators

Hello there!

I have moved this thread from the section you posted this originally (General Discussion) to a more appropriate section (General Second Life Tech Discussion). This is to ensure that your post gets viewed by other Residents that are searching for topics such as this one, and may be able to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Kristin Linden

Hello Christin :smileyhappy:

Click “About Second Life” under “Help” in the menu bar (Top left hand side of your viewer), then copy and paste the information here.  This will give the helpers your computer’s specifications, and they’ll be able to help you better.

Christin73 wrote:

Hopefully LLs will fix it.

But you said "I have an intel chipset i just tried updating and gotr an error." There's nothing LL can do to fix that Intel driver installation, and until that's fixed, there's little hope for SL on that machine.

In fact, it's probably best to seach the web with the error text from the Intel driver update failure, in hopes of finding a forum that can help you solve that specifically.

Or... really, any Intel graphics hardware will be disappointing for running SL, so if you had any thoughts of getting something better, you could do that now and maybe avoid all the aggravation of fixing those Intel drivers.

Christin73 wrote:

I just recently got a new/refurbished computer with windows 10. I just downladed SL and tried to run it but it comes up with my graphics card/drivers are out of date or didn't install properly. Anone reccomend a way around it or perhaps computer settings?

Devriv wrote:

Hello Christin :smileyhappy:

Click “About Second Life” under “Help” in the menu bar
(Top left hand side of your viewer),
then copy and paste the information here.  This will give the helpers your computer’s specifications, and they’ll be able to help you better.

• Administrators

Hello again!

You can also get your system information by doing the following on Windows 10:

Start > Settings > About

This will give you basic information about your computer. If you scroll down further to Device Manager > Display Adapters this will tell you what sort of graphics card your system has.

Alternatively, you can find this information by hitting the Windows Key + R, and typing dxdiag in the text box and click on OK.

You can then use this information to compare with the Second Life System Requirements, and to help you locate which drivers you may need to update.

I hope this information helps you in resolving this issue!

Sincerely,

Kristin Linden

A Google search turned up this from a year ago or so: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Intel-R-Q35-Express-Chipset-Family-Microsoft-Corporation-WDDM-1/qaq-p/2972765

I wonder if there's any chance your machine might have a real graphics card, too, and somehow the display got plugged-in to the motherboard's graphics port. If there's really only the one graphics port back there, though, probably you'll be wanting to spec out a graphics card that fits your budget (and power supply).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.