Lack of R-Pi viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm Helfirz Hammerer (Nomad). Please take a minute to read this thread. It concerns SL, Raspberry Pi, and a GPL project.

With the growing number of Raspberry Pi computers around the world, the gaming community is exploding. Yet i have found no second life viewers capable of running on a Pi. Second Life should be able to run on a B+ after some tweaking. There are countless brilliant residents in this community; let's bring educational programming back to SL.

there's no lack, but what i see about those machines it's simply not strong enough for sl.

SL isn't a normal "game" all you see has to be downloaded to your machine. The result will be at most the same as on adroid viewers, poor, only serving the goal they are designed for: keeping in touch, but not able to have the full capacity of what a real participant on sl needs.

But if you want it, work on it, the viewer is open source....

I don't think you'd want to run a viewer on your Raspberry Pi, but there are several people running OpenSim sims on on their R-Pi's as HyperGrid Standalone Regions. Imagine running your own region 24/7 while only using about 2.1 watts of power. Imagine being able to visit other grids and invite people over to visit yours. Imagine if Linden Lab adopted a similar model, where you could type "sudo apt-get secondlife" and install your very own simulator linked with the rest of SecondLife.

I'd like to see both OpenSim and SecondLife adopt this model, not necessarily interconnected with one another, but within themselves. Land is expensive and cost prohibitive for some, but using this model of distributed computing, everybody could host their own homestead for the cost of a Pi and still shop in SL and Linden Lab could still host/sell regions as they do now.

That's just my 2¢ but it seems like it would be a great improvement. I'm currently working on an OpenSim region with bullet physics as time permits.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

R-Pi 3. The new Pi 3 is a quad core, 64bit based system. Up to 80% more performance than the previous Pi-2, and still only $35. However, still onpy 1GB of RAM - with a default 64MB for graphics. (User configurable - for more).

Lumiya is the best SL viewer available for android, and runs very well on Samsung Galaxy phones.

If you have an android tablet or phone, you could try Lumiya.

Alternatively, you could write the developer Alina Lyvette of Lumiya and see if Alina has an interest in porting the excellent program over for the Raspberry Pi 3.

• Like 1

Lumiya is great, but it was last updated May 13, 2014, whereas before that time there were quite frequent updates, so the current situation isn't encouraging.

In any case, to be brutally honest, Raspberry Pi would be pretty far down a list of possible platforms for SL viewer development, if the choice were up to me. R.Pi is amazing for the price, but has so many better, more apt uses.

For a while, server-side rendering was getting a lot of attention, and that would make R.Pi plenty powerful -- but at that point, even a Chromecast dongle might be adequate.

• 2 years later...
51 minutes ago, cykarushb said:

I dont think SL cares what architecture youre on.

there are 32bit and 64bit viewers which I guess are for i386 and AMD64 architectures.... I pretty much guess you would need a viewer for ARM ... but  can imagine text only viewers like Radegast might run on a RasPi... RasPis might be be actually pretty decent hosts for bots.

Edited by Fionalein

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that!

Will attempt a Corrade server on a RasPi myself and report back here as just installed on native Windows 10 i386 .Net 4.5.x (32-bit) system to attempt some development work with Microsoft's new Visual Studio Code v1.30.2 (Node.js: 8.9.3), so now I can have a development system and a target server system with a cheap RasPi 3 machine on Corrade!

Corrade - Web Services and Scripts supported.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.