Contents of Objects Simply Won't Load

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The contents of objects simply don't load. Doesn't matter which sim or which object. I can relog several times -- sometimes they load. I can take them into and out of inventory, and *sometimes* on the third try, they load. But not always.

Needless to say, this is a huge work flow hobble and the worst I've had had in a long time.

I've been a dozen rounds with Support to no avail.

This is not due to "my machine" so please don't "WOMM" me because it's hardly at issue. Three weeks ago SL worked; now it doesn't work, because they changed their software, adding Bento and other things.

I use the SL viewer for lots of reasons and the best that Lindens can tell me now is to "uninstall all viewers including ours" and reinstall. That's like turning off your computer and restarting it to fix problems.

No, I don't have any other viewers. No, I don't have packet loss (I keep sending them screenshots of that). It's not the sim. It's not the object. It's something different about the software which impacts something else.

They've done ping tests and looked at tracer routes and found nothing.

Lindens have logged my account on and for them, the load objects just fine, of course, because they're Lindens with some different set of circumstances than the typical off-the-shelf Best Buy computers.

It's like that time Lee Linden told me that his sim was working fine with perfect FPS and TD and all the rest because...there were no avatars on it.

I've tried reducing graphics but it's already pretty low -- and again, 3 weeks ago, before the latest update, I never had this problem. In fact, I can't remember when I've had this load problem so persistently ever, even when I accessed SL with a really sub-standard graphics card in 2004.

I have seen this happen occasionally when it's region-specific, and then it goes away on its own eventually, but when it's not region-specific it's always been due to some local network problem. (This, however, is Canada, so the network usually has some problem or other.) But evidently Support has already tried and failed to find a network cause in this case:

They've done ping tests and looked at tracer routes and found nothing.

If it hasn't been tried already, it could help to know if another, alt account has the same problem. If not, then it's some interaction between this account and this site -- perhaps it has a huge inventory and the local network can't cope with something about that (e.g., too many open sockets for the router or some silly thing). If the alt has the same problem, though, then we know it's something local (at which point it sure would be tempting to try a whole different machine on that network).

They've already had you reboot the router, I'm sure -- probably about a dozen times, right? 

There are 3 causes of this problem that I know of.

1) Sick region - problem will be isolated to one region and most likely everyone on that region will have the same problem.

Region restart should fix it.

2) Wonky connection, as Qie said.

3) A problem with the Windows temp folder on the affected system: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp.

SL viewers utilize this Temp folder in order to display the contents inside other objects.

It's possible that the viewer may not have permissions to write to the Temp folder - try running the viewer as Administrator to see if this fixes the problem.

If not, create a new Windows user account, login to that account and install the viewer and see if this fixes the problem.

If it does it's fairly certain to be a problem with the Temp folder.

You can use Windows disk cleanup to purge the comtents of the Temp folder, which may fix the problem.

JIRA issue for more details: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-40728

@Gadget Portal
No. No. It is not a "problem with my connection" because it's the exact same connection I've had for years now where SL generally works. Yes, I have wireless. Yes, wireless is not optimal for SL. But wireless has worked FOR YEARS. Remember, I don't need SL to look as pretty as the prettiest Linden Pictures of the Day. I just need it to work. Now it doesn't work *because something changed in the Lindens' software, not my machine*.

@Qie Niango
No. No. I said it is not region-specific. I thought it was the different channels at first but it's EVERYWHERE and EVERYTHING. And yes, they tried those pings etc as I said and claim not to find issues.

Yes, I've thought of this stock answer (like "let's reinstall the viewer" or "let's clear cache") that it's "your inventory heavy load". Well, do tell me how that works, Qie. I have other alts, some with a lot of inventory, some with nothing. They all have the same problem because, you know, they all use the same software. And they all didn't have this problem 3 weeks ago, you know? As I keep saying. And explain why, just because there's a lot of inventory, opening the contents of an object *rezzed inworld* would be at issue. How does that work?

Rebooting the router isn't something "they had me do," but my God, I rebooted the router at the get-go multiple times. Zero relevance. You know, because *it's their software*.

@Whirly Fizzle
No. No. It's not the region because if you read my original post, I pointed out that it happens EVERYWHERE with EVERYTHING. No, it's not the connection because it's the same connection as three weeks ago when SL worked, and the weeks before that.

No, I can't read that JIRA because I've been banned from the JIRA for the last, oh, five or seven years, because I would tend to point out that the problems I could document were with the software, not my machine.

I hesitate to casually clean the Temp folder with threads like this.
http://superuser.com/questions/418032/emptying-windows-temp-folder-is-a-good-idea

Why wouldn't the viewer have permission to write to the Temp folder, Whirly? I can't imagine why. If it had those permissions 3 weeks ago, and doesn't *now* that would be -- wait for it -- a new thing and a problem in the Linden softare, not my machine.

So do try to remain curious!

But here's what I find interesting. I don't know what things SL per se writes to this file, but boy, it's full.

I go to users/username/appdata/local/temp and I find that the folder has 9000 things in it, some of them with scary names like MEGA BACKUP. But the dates are all after December 25, when the problems began. I copied it, but I'm a little worried still about deleting it. Anyway, here goes....

Awesome Screenshot makes me log-in or make an account and I don't feel like it because I have Nimbus and use Opera. So I don't know what they suggest but....

I used CCleaner to clean up all the files, and some of those appdata temp files got taken. But no change. Exact same problems persist. Nothing loads; loads if you take it in and out of inventory 3 times.

Well, I'm sorry you're not finding the solution to the problem.

In case it's any help, in the past when I've had this problem I've found that opening another object's contents first can somehow, sometimes make it possible to then see the contents of the object I really want to see. This happens too often to be purely superstitious, but I have no explanation for why it should work, nor does it work every time.

The problem Whirly cited involving write permissions on the Temp folder I'd expect to cause every attempt to fail, but you say after a few times you can sometimes succeed, so I'm not sure how that would arise. (And anyway, you cleared your Temp folder without success.)

Yes, I've thought of this stock answer (like "let's reinstall the viewer" or "let's clear cache") that it's "your inventory heavy load". Well, do tell me how that works, Qie. I have other alts, some with a lot of inventory, some with nothing. They all have the same problem because, you know, they all use the same software. And they all didn't have this problem 3 weeks ago, you know? As I keep saying. And explain why, just because there's a lot of inventory, opening the contents of an object *rezzed inworld* would be at issue. How does that work?

Rebooting the router isn't something "they had me do," but my God, I rebooted the router at the get-go multiple times. Zero relevance. You know, because *it's their software*.

Sure, it's their software, but their software is not causing this problem on my machine, for example, and I don't think we can be the only two surviving Linden viewer users. The problem, whatever it is, must be some interaction between the software, the machine configuration, the network, and/or the account details. It's helpful to know that alt accounts have the same problem because that removes one whole branch of inquiry -- that's why I asked -- so we don't have to consider any further the possibility of inventory contributing to the problem. (But since you asked, one way that might have happened would have been if the inventory grew just over some threshold such that trying to load it caused open socket connections to get stranded in your router. We now know that's not the problem here, but it wasn't completely a shot in the dark.)

Also, "their software" includes the software that installs an updated viewer package, in addition to that viewer itself. If it had turned out that Temp directory permissions were inappropriate, it may have been something in that installation process that caused the problem. (The jira doesn't seem to suggest any particular hypothesis for how the Temp directory permissions broke in that case.)

I suspect this problem will only be solved when a Linden (or somebody) inspects a console log file from the viewer when the problem arises. Unless they've already tried that, too.

Prok, can you upload the viewers session log to dropbox or google drive or similar?

If the problem is with the Temp folder it will be very obvious in the log.

1) Run a session on the LL viewer where you reproduce the problem of the object contents failing to load and then log out, Do not relaunch the viewer till you grabbed the log.

2) Make sure hidden files and folders are set to show on Windows.

Not sure what version of Windows you are using - this wiki page has links for how to do this for all Windows versions: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/showing_hidden_folders

3) Browse to C:\Users\USERNAMEAppData\Roaming\SecondLife

4) Zip up the logs folder (right click the logs folder -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder)

5) Upload the logs.zip to diopbox or similar.

This is sort of exasperating for me now because my WinZip trial is expired, my email addresses used up, and I'm struggling to get the free Hamster Zip to zip this up but it's jammed trying to get it to Google Drive so I have to set it aside now.

Why can't I just paste the last bit? Surely you're looking for just a few lines.

For example, this looks like trouble:

2017-01-22T08:37:16Z WARNING: #LLFilewarnif: Couldn't remove 'C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\SecondLife_Events_log.old' (errno 2): No such file or directory
2017-01-22T08:37:16Z WARNING: #LLFilewarnif: Couldn't rename to 'C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\SecondLife_Events_log.old' from 'C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\SecondLife_Events_log.llsd' (errno 2): No such file or directory

Now why is it doing that? 

If this is the root of the problem. then it's no setting I've changed and it didn't do this before. It doesn't matter if this problem occurs because of interaction between "their software" and "my machine" because "my machine" didn't cause this problem BEFORE.

And how can it be fixed? Just by making a folder, naming it properly, and sticking it in there?

In any event, if I can get the thing zipped up I will upload it but right now I'm jammed.

A lot of log warnings are actually normal.  That snippet you posted is normal & shouldn't have anything to do with your problem.

You don't need WinZip, windows has a built in zipper.

You can right click the logs folder -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder.  This should work on any windows system without 3rd party zipping software installed.

If you are still having problems with zipping, if you run a session where you reproduce the contents loading problem and then log out, do NOT relaunch the viewer, even to the login screen, then the session log file is the SecondLife.log file inside the logs folder.

If you did relaunch the viewer, the previous sessions log is the SecondLife.old file. 

Just the SecondLife.log (or SecondLife.old if you relaunched) is enough.

You can open the log file in a text editor & just paste the contents to pastebin if that's easier.

If you do not see a SecondLife.log file in the logs folder, you will need to untick the "Hide extensions for known file types".  If this option is ticked, the .log file will just be named SecondLife.

"Hide extensions for known file types" - http://www.howtohaven.com/system/show-file-extensions-in-windows-explorer.shtml

Whirly.

I have been in SL for 12 years.

I know how to see hidden folders.

It's a wonder I don't have a PhD in mathematical physics by now, with everything I have had to learn to run SL.

I appreciate your help.

Sadly, what you are saying about Winzip being "built in" just isn't true. I *have* Windows 10. I right-click on the file "logs" which I can find perfectly easily. But Windows then gives me options like "zip and share" or "zip and email" and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE ZIP OPTIONS takes me to the menu of YOUR WINZIP IS EXPIRED with a link to buy it.

Now maybe YOURS doesn't do that but MINE DOES.

I tried -- once again, you never know -- uninstalling completely SL, and also Firestorm which I only had to use "search area" in desperation because Searchbert doesn't go behind 168 m. I'm happy to have THAT off my computer.

When I logged on again, it seemed as if things loaded better. But then they didn't. Worse, first I was a Casper, and now not only am I a Casper with no clothing, the terrain looks like mud. Yes, my graphics settings were put back. These sorts of things make me weep with frustration.

At this point, I have to do RL work and I have to set this aside. Thanks for all your help, and if I get this file zipped with Hamster or some other product I'll put it on Google. Does Pastebin really take a file of 10.8 MB? Anyway, I'm done for now, back later.

So this problem of the inventory not loading on any object on any sim?

Gone. Went away completely.

The Lindens put in a new patch, it went away.

Because the problem is their software.

Sure, you can say, "No, the problem is their software's interaction with your machine so it's your machine."

Except, 3 weeks ago it worked, 2 weeks ago it stopped working, now it's working again this week. Go now.

I will say that now every TP leads to a sea of gray. Remember "I see gray people?" That was years ago.

Takes about five minutes to clear up.

Maybe the pipes are frozen, weather is cold.

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.