Artifacts in busy SIMs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been running without problems for a couple of years using a Gigabyte GAX58A-UDR3 motherboard, 6GB Corsair memory, an i7-920 CPU and a EVGA GeForce 8800GTS graphics card, using  a Viewsonic VX2453 monitor.

Then a few weeks ago I experienced artifacts on my screen when I visit venues with 6 or more avatars. The artifact typically starts at a point at an avatar, then crosses the screen forming a big triangle of a single color. As I cam around, these artifacts disappear and others form, sometimes almost filling the screen.

I had a similar issue when I first started in SL, using a entry level graphics card and that problem disappeared when I replaced it with something better. I concluded that my 8800GTS had given up the ghost after many years of good service and acquired a EVGA GTX970.

To my surprise, the problem didn't go away! I got in touch with EVGA support who walked me through various clean installs of the drivers. No luck. They offered to replace the card, but also suggested that I try the card in another PC to see if the problem moved with the card. It didn't. The 970 works beautifully in another PC (this one with a slightly faster CPU and 16GB of memory).

My question is, what other than the graphics card could create this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It'll take a while, but swapping the PSU might be a good idea. I had a failing PSU once and it gave all kinds of weird issues, which seemed to be related to sometimes motherboard, sometimes memory, sometimes screen, sometimes gpu etc.

Whether it's a 300W or 750W one makes no difference if it's broken.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I'd taken Drake1's question to heart earlier.

The problem was not apparent on Viewer 2. After doing a clean re-install of Firestorm, no more artifacts there either.

I just couldn't confince myself that this was a software issue, but it was.

Thank you for the advice and particularly the suggestion to try other viewers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.